A few questions about Boston Butts..

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Why do people cook bone in?

2) Anybody de-boned a butt and put it in the smoker?

3) Anybody have a revised cook schedule for a de-boned butt?

4) What is your favorite bread for sandwiches?

Thanks in advance...

1) Bone-in are the only ones I can get and I like the ability to check for doneness by twisting the bone (temp is only a guide!)

2) Nope, haven't tried that, seems like more work than it's worth since the bone is SO much easier to get out after it's cooked! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

3) I haven't seen much fluctuation in recommended cook times bone-in or boneless. Since time is pretty variable anyway based on temp, size, and piece of meat, the 1.5-2hrs per pound guideline should still hold.

4) I stick to the good ol' Wonder Bread white hamburger bun.

Cheers,
R

1. I cook bone in because IMHO the bone adds flavor to any cut of meat. Also, I'm too lazy to cut it out.

2 & 3. We de-boned a butt for my Paul Kirk class to speed up the time of the cook. I believe it was 8 hours cooking time for a 7 lb butt, but mine wasn't done by turn in time so I couldn't tell how much time it saved.

3. I prefer cheap plain white hamburger buns for my pulled pork sandwiches.

1) Cause it's easier to leave it in?? Deboning takes a bit of work and I can't tell a difference in flavor between pork cooked bone-in or boneless.

2) I've deboned them, sometimes when I split the whole butt into halves - one bone-in, the other boneless. I only debone now when the wife needs a meaty bone for the bean pot.

3) Sitting side-by-side on the same grate, the boneless half will hit 190*F while the bone-in half is still at 185*F. Bone-in or boneless, mine still seem to take at least 2hr/lb. I'd be surprized if you saw more than a 5% decrease in time.

Splitting them in half will get you a 40%~50% reduction in overtime time and it sure is easy to do than deboning. And you get more bark too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

4) For pulled pork, small, fresh, and fluffy hamburger buns.

1.) Because it's there.

2.) Why would you want to, when it comes out so easy at the end of the cook?

3.) I've not cooked one deboned, but I wouldn't imagine that would lower the time by a significant amount.

4.) I'll go with the majority on this. Hamburger buns.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Rich G wrote - 3) I haven't seen much fluctuation in recommended cook times bone-in or boneless. Since time is pretty variable anyway based on temp, size, and piece of meat, the 1.5-2hrs per pound guideline should still hold. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dave Lewis wrote - We de-boned a butt for my Paul Kirk class to speed up the time of the cook. I believe it was 8 hours cooking time for a 7 lb butt, but mine wasn't done by turn in time so I couldn't tell how much time it saved. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>See this is why I asked...

I have a cooking schedule for a bone-in Pork Butt but I have heard that boneless Pork Butts require several hours less time.

In the neighborhood of 60-80 minutes per pound for boneless versus 90-120 minutes per pound for bone-in...

For me, the savinds in time would be greatly appreciatted since this is a Friday night after work thing for me.

If I can get it out of the smoker @ 1 am or so; it would make life much easier than doing an all nighter...

While I don't require a bunch of sleep, when I do sleep, I sleep super heavy. The beeping from a Maverick 73 ain't got a shot in hell of waking me up. I usually stay up all night or have the girlfriend drive over to my place because the alarm will wake her up.

If I could take care of the Qing prior to falling asleep, I will actually have a chance of getting some sleep.

Spyro,
I usually de-bone my pork butts because I end up with more surfaces to coat with rub. This helps provide that much more bark flavor when choosing to cook for pulled pork. I also find an advantage when choosing to slice a de-boned butt. De-boned offers me many choices of muscle groups, sizes, doneness, texture, moistness, etc. to select when deciding what are the 6 best slices I can create for the turn-in.
-Harry

Spyro,

I've cooked at least 5 boned butts ( my butcher boned them as a courtesy, and tied the roast.)

Since then, I've only cooked bone-in, and here's why:
1. It's no faster. Boned butts were still needing 1:45 -2 hrs per pound. There's simply no difference in time .

2. Urban Legends/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif which I cannot prove false)
* The bone adds flavor
* The bone conducts heat to the interior of the roast, actually helping to obtain a consistant cook.
* As you've seen on this board, once you start wigglin' that little thing ...it's hard to stop . (Throw away the Polders)

WILL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For me, the savinds in time would be greatly appreciatted since this is a Friday night after work thing for me.

If I can get it out of the smoker @ 1 am or so; it would make life much easier than doing an all nighter...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you're doing a whole 7~8lb butt, then you will want to split in half. This will definitely reduce cook time about 50%. Here's how I do it - Splitting a Butt

You can then debone the bone-in half but you'll wind up with a smallish floppy piece about 3lbs that will need to be tied up with butcher's twine into a roll.

These should only take about 6hr~8hrs total.

Spyro,

1. Leave the bone in!
2. I see by the recent survey you're only 34,
stay up all night and sleep the next day.
3. "have the girlfriend drive over...." she
should be there anyway (she's 22)
4. Oh, that's right, she's 22, that's why you
need the sleep.
5. Only joking with you /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spyro Ananiades:
[qb]4) What is your favorite bread for sandwiches?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I like the Oroweat Country Potato hamburger buns.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>or have the girlfriend drive over to my place because the alarm will wake her up <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Why would you want to change anything. Your getting BBQ and your girlfriend to sleep with you. Sorry I just dont see the problem here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>While I don't require a bunch of sleep, when I do sleep, I sleep super heavy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Why not instead of putting the butt on right after work on Friday, put it on at 10 or 11pm then go to bed. You can get your sleep and just take the butt off later Saturday morning all the same. NO?

Travis H,

Thanks for the link, Splitting a Butt, I giggled at the title but learned alot. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Harry,

Thanks for your insight.

Will P,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>once you start wigglin' that little thing ...it's hard to stop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That is what I tell my girlfriend but she doesn't buy it... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Brock,

Fridays, before home games (college fb) is guy night... the boys would hang out, we'd drink beer... play cards... whatever...

If I have my girlfriend over, they have to have their wives/girlfriends over. Then come the kids.

So all cussing and juvinile behavior goes out the door.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spyro Ananiades:
[qb] Travis H,
So all cussing and juvinile behavior goes out the door. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Then you mine as well stay home. Where's the fun in it then! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

The issue of to de-bone or not to de-bone is an economic question for me. My only reliable source for pork butt is the local butcher who charges $2.79/pound - with or without bone. He's more than happy to de-bone it for me - and I save a few bucks in the process too.

I have tried both bone-in and boneless - can't really distinguish and taste difference between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back