A few photos from first dance with the KettlePizza

Thanks guys. I'll follow your advice and report back

No coals under the stone as the kettle pizza people suggest?

Most people, myself included, don't put coals under the stone. Since I pre-heat the stone in the oven at 500 for a good while, my stone is cooking the crust to my satisfaction.

They say that a wooden peel is best to slide the raw pizza onto the stone. I need to get one, as I have had some disasters with raw dough getting fused to my aluminum peel.

Most people, myself included, don't put coals under the stone. Since I pre-heat the stone in the oven at 500 for a good while, my stone is cooking the crust to my satisfaction.

They say that a wooden peel is best to slide the raw pizza onto the stone. I need to get one, as I have had some disasters with raw dough getting fused to my aluminum peel.

I like to put just a handful of coals under the stone. Maybe about 8-10 spread evenly underneath. That has seemed to provide the best results for me out of a lot of different permutations.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59746-Pizzaque-II

Hey Chris,

Looks like you're figuring it out. I had my nephew make me a steel plate to replace the dome lid. This helps cooking the top quicker. Mine is a Pizzaque, and the stainless insert is tapered in the back. Your Pizza Kettle is not tapered, so I don't know if it will work the same for your setup.
I cook mine when the stone reaches 600 (a heat gun is a must). I use 2 full chimneys and white oak wood. When I fire it all up, we push the pizzas thru pretty fast about 5 or 6 mins per pie. I can get about 4 pies thru before temp starts dropping too much.

Been doing fresh berry compote tarts on puff pastry for desserts. The wood flavor is heavenly.
Those action shots may have slowed you down, but they look awesome!

Last edited:

Back