A couple other charcoal sales going on

Ooooffff - Ridge charcoal... I bought 2 bags a few months ago. Stuff won't light, won't stay lit; worst charcoal I've ever bought.

Picked up a couple more bags of K pro at Costco, should be good until next summer.
These days at that price it’s my go to.

If you buy three packs of Pro at Costco, and then go back and buy three more, do they know you already bought three based upon your membership number and charge you full price or will you get the 2nd three at the sale price? I tried this on the last sale and got charged full price, but I honestly didn't check the price to see if the sale was still active.

Never had any problems with Ridge here. It's just re-branded Royal Oak.
I haven't either. I use it mostly in the WSM, and in the Jumbo Joe when we're going to the coast, and it works fine. The smaller bag is handy when traveling since it takes up less space.

I never understood the problem with store brand charcoal made by Royal Oak - I’ve used a couple of them and they worked well for me. A few weeks ago I had occasion to use yet another one, and I finally understood why people shy away from it. It gave good heat, but I kept having to top it up as it burned, and I ended up with a ton of ash. After I had snuffed out the stuff that was still burning at the end of the cook, there wasn’t anything salvageable left, as it all crumbled when I tried shaking the ash out of it. It wasn’t horrible for putting a char on some short ribs and chuck roast, but it left an objectionable level of smoke flavor on the corn that I grilled over it. If that had been my first time using it, I’d be shouting from the rooftops about how bad it is.

Back