A Couple of Firsts

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
Did my first jerky today. I used top round sliced 1/4 inch thick approx 1 inch wide. I marinated it in my homemade teriyaki for 2 days then dried it in my 18.5 using the snake method which is another first (sort of). I've had trouble with the snake method in the past but following some advice and tips from some of the other members here I got it to work like a charm. The cooker ran a rock steady 160 and the snake was only half burnt.

Nice Jerky! I'd like to see the pics on how you did the fuel if you feel like posting them

Thanks Clint. I didn't get a picture of the set up and am sorry that I didn't. This is the last set up I used that didn't work to well. What I changed was I angled them a bit more diagonally so there was more surface contact between the briquettes. I also made sure to light from the end where the briquettes were leaning into one another so as they burned they would fall onto the next set. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation - I think I get it........ I need to try it.

This is very similar to the set up I used Clint. The only thing I did differently was I lit the other end so it burned counter clockwise.

Thank you Bill. I'm actually not a big fan myself but my wife is. My kind of gal.

the old man (my dad) used to make salmon jerky (>20 years ago). It's really good if you like smoked salmon. The only thing I don't like about jerky is I'd better have some dental floss nearby. We've strung deer jerky in an unfinished basement, dried it slowly in the oven, but most of it was done in Ronco food dehydrators.

I keep saying I'm going to do it & I even have some good ideas!

That is some mighty tasty looking jerky. I have started making some since I got a dehydrator and so far as turned out pretty good. A lot cheaper than buying it.

It's pretty hard to beat home made jerky. Your's looks super. It wouldn't last long around here.
My only suggestion would be to make at least 3x that pictured.

It's pretty hard to beat home made jerky. Your's looks super. It wouldn't last long around here.
My only suggestion would be to make at least 3x that pictured.

There was actually 3 additional full trays there and my wife said its still not enough. Guess I'll just have to make some more. Oh well :)

That is some mighty fine looking Jerky my friend! What cut is the beef? Question on your snake. You said you only burned half. Do you think you could have had just one row of charcoal instead of two? I know it's hard to guess that stuff, and if you got a steady 160, I wouldn't change a thing. I just was wondering your thoughts on your snake

I used top round Chuck. I did wind up with about half the snake unused. With the cold temp here and not being sure how long the jerky would need I wanted to err on the high side figuring that I can reuse whatever charcoal is left.

Back