A comment my dad made about Weber briquettes

Scott Smith

TVWBB Pro
As a gas griller myself, I don't usually read the kettle forum, so I apologize if this all has been covered in the forum, or is just common knowledge to everyone.

A couple of winters ago, Home Depot had a massive price reduction on Weber brand charcoal. I bought a lot of it for pennies on the dollar and gifted it all to my dad, explaining to him that the stuff was pretty expensive at regular price and might actually cook somehow better than the Kingsford he usually uses and was very happy with. My dad had trepidations about this different kind of charcoal, but eventually got around to using most of it.

After trying them for a number of fires, my dad's takeaway was that suddenly all his official Weber recipes worked perfectly. He used a lot of recipes that would specify like 40 briquettes, and he always had trouble with the time, number of briquettes, and temperature. He concluded that the Kingsford briquettes were a tad smaller than their Weber counterparts. He had been cooking for years without enough fuel.

So I guess the takeaway is to use Weber briquettes with Weber recipes. I also find it fascinating how each company can adjust the size of their briquettes relative to the competition's.

Lots of people on here love them, but Weber stopped making them a while back for some reason. I tried a few bags and wasn't so impressed, but they do have a huge following here. It's normal to have to adapt recipes to the various types of charcoals out there and their burn rate/ heat output. They will all burn a little different, all part of the game. ;)

Wish they would make them. My favorite briquettes by far. I don’t buy Kingsford. Have a box of Jealous Devil in the garage, have for a couple months, that I need to try.

That probably explains why Home Depot was clearing them out.
I think HD cleared them out because they could not move them at 18.99 a bag and decided they were not going to carry them anymore as Weber made them for a few years after that. Bunch of us loaded up at that $4.10 a bag I bought 23 bags got about 8 left. The only adjustments I made is they do take a little longer to get started, but they also burn longer so actually reduced the amount that I use in my UDS and Performer.

When they are gone probably go back to Kingsford Pro from Costco but to be honest I used KBB in the past and that was fine I know some people don't care for it but I don't think I am much of a critic when it comes to charcoal. I am sure the JD stuff is good but I just would not pay the price for it.

I think they only sell them across the pond now. But yes, they are amazing. I bought a pallet from Lowe’s on clearance for about 3.00 a bag. Still have about 20 bags left. Been weening off them slowly on B&B charcoal, lump, etc.

I'll probably get smack for saying this, but if I were betting, I'd bet that Kingsford made the Weber Briquettes.

I dunno, I’ve never encountered kingsford like the Weber stuff was, unless they completely changed a bunch of stuff.

Of course I don’t buy kingsford anymore because it’s pretty meh for me, so who knows.

I dunno, I’ve never encountered kingsford like the Weber stuff was, unless they completely changed a bunch of stuff.

Of course I don’t buy kingsford anymore because it’s pretty meh for me, so who knows.
I’ve never had any problems with KBB in the WSM 18. However, I used a full bag in the WSM 22 and it turned to ash in 8 hours. The B&B Competition and Blues Hog briquettes kept burning for several hours after similar cooks were done.

Wish they would make them. My favorite briquettes by far. I don’t buy Kingsford. Have a box of Jealous Devil in the garage, have for a couple months, that I need to try.
I’m not that impressed with JD, I may like K Pro better.
I’ll be stocking up big time when it comes back to Costco.

I’m not that impressed with JD, I may like K Pro better.
I’ll be stocking up big time when it comes back to Costco.
I’ve really been digging the JD lump. Their pellets were nothing special. Still haven’t tried their briquettes.

I haven’t tried any B&B stuff, Royal Oak wasn’t nothing to write about, Blues Hog isn’t bad but....

Funny how all these can taste so wildly different to different folks.

Back