A Butt Rub (for Jane)

I bugged Penzey's so much that they finally put in a store about 10 minutes away from me in Sandy Springs, GA. I was their first customer.

Rita

I envy you - I have to drive to Raleigh to get to Penzy's - about 1 1/2 hours away.

Ray

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Dwain Pannell Where do you get hot New Mexico chili powder, Jim?

don't remember...lemme check the bag i have at home (i'm at work now)... i'll get back to you.

geez... twenty some days later.... Sorry Dwain, just thought of this post today as I will be making more of this rub.
Anyway, I use Penzey's Ground Ancho Chili Pepper
sure it's not the same as New Mexico chili powder... but it works for me :)

Please help, I was wandering if those products from Pendery's.com are exactly what I need to complete this rub..

CHILE PEPPER-NEW MEXICO HOT 4OZ 00324-25 $4.61 $4.61
CHILE PEPPER-ANCHO GROUND 8OZ 00482-50 $12.08 $12.08

Last edited:
Enrico - Those should be fine. My favorite rub and not just for pork. If you mix up a batch please let us know what you think! Ciao!

Last edited:
In the 2004 original post from KK, HE calls for hot CHILI new mexico and CHILI ancho pepper. Now, in my searching, I found CHILE stuff, wich is a pure spice not a blend like the chili. Wath to do ??? Do I go for them

CHILE PEPPER-NEW MEXICO HOT 4OZ 00324-25 $4.61 $4.61
CHILE PEPPER-ANCHO GROUND 8OZ 00482-50 $12.08 $12.08

I usually just take the dried peppers, toast them if it's called for, and throw them in the mini food processor. I'm not even that particular on the exactness of the peppers if I don't have the right ones (I have both of those varieties, along with ~6 others on my shelves). You're going to like this rub......it's different than anything I'd had before.

Need more Kevin K's rib rub, but have become confused ....In reviewing the recipe I cannot be sure of this.....I have the chili blend I like, but does all this blended 3-pepper mix get used in the recipe of 2004 or is only part of it used and the amount not in print ?
AND Kevin or other helpers....is there an update to the recipe ( I have replaced the paprika ) as it has been some time since any revelations have come from KK ? Thanks anyone

I'm not sure what you're asking. I wrote a recipe back then called "Rib Rub". Is it that to which you refer? Or are you asking about Butt Rub for Jane?

And very much appreciate your return to me...I use Your Jane's for all butts, but needed clarification with the KK rib rub offered in your post of 7-29-07. I think I have resolved my confusion....like this...
Choose the Chile blend you prefer and use ALL that you mixed in the rest of the recipe....and I HAVE ASSUMED KK HAS NOT MADE MAJOR CHANGES TO THE 07 VERSION AS IF SO, THEY MUST BE NEEDED AND WORTHY IMPROVEMENTS. Thanks for all you do for us, Kevin...very fine ! Dave

I'm not sure which recipe that is (7-29-07) and search is pretty useless on this board. But, yes, if you have a chile blend that you particularly like you can use that instead of whatever chile (or chilies) is called for in the recipe.

I think I'm set...now I need to make a fresh batch of KK's finishing sauce for butts. If I may add...Now I use your sauce as a base , defat the drippings and add to fine tune the whole batch....Oh Boy, and thanks...SO for BUTTS, ONLY KK'S " RUB FOR JANE ".... & TO FINISH THE PULLED PORK, KK,S FINISHING SAUCE FINE TUNED FOR DAVE BY DAVE ; FOR RIBS, KK'S RIB RUB FROM WAY BACK AND STILL WICKED GOOD ! and he said " AND AWAY WE GO ", right ? thanks

Tonight, I needed to make a batch of No. 5 Sauce. But, I'm out of rub. This is one of my favorites.
So I deleted thyme and marjoram and added fennel. This is good stuff. It never goes out of style.
Thanks Kevin.

Back