A born Arkansan in Rhode Island

Chris-Rhody18

Hey everyone, my name is Chris and I currently live in northern Rhode Island. Im
Originally from a small town in Arkansas, and my first memory of when bbq really made its mark on me was during a family reunion when we buried a whole pig in the ground with hot coals and covered it for a few days; that pulled whole hog was life changing, I was about 6 I think!

I’m now, per marriage and my career, in New England. Not as much bbq or smoke up here, though I have found a few places in RI and SE Massachusetts (recommendations welcome!) we bought our house a few years ago and I bought a Weber Spirit 3 burner; I added the 18.5 WSM about 1.5 years ago. I’ve done ribs a few times, chicken thighs, pork butts, but this Memorial Day weekend I tried my first overnight brisket. I was having about 10 people over, and I found a 10.5 whole brisket at Costco, seemed small but a good first attempt I figured. Trimmed it and went on at 11pm, came off into the cooler at 12:30pm following day. The flat was only about an inch thick for 60% of it, that was a little dry, but the point portions came out nice. The WSM jumped to 270 for a bit - and my probe alarm didn’t wake me up… - but for a first try I was happy with it. The pics show what looks like a pulled brisket, I chopped the lean part and sauced it, but the point portions were just mauled by family trying to “only have a small piece” ! Happy to be here!

8E8D0E84-B8D4-4977-A4A9-80B70FE6102F.jpegF0FD91CC-901C-4CC1-A180-BA7564BF6629.jpegA4280FE9-1B06-4D13-A58B-5F1EB633FA28.jpeg
DBF6B979-9134-4C06-8D1A-0E0C7BE00822.jpeg9C0D297B-632C-41DB-96B6-3E713CC3FF9D.jpeg

Welcome, Chris! Nice job on your first brisket! I find that those small ones can be tough to nail, frequently due to the thin flat problem you had. Sounds like you pulled it off though, nice choice to chop/sauce the flat! :)

Rich

The Italian restaurant was Mary Maestris, but I think that it is gone now.
My grandparents lived in Springdale. I had hoped to retire there, but now
we have 7 grandkids and my wife won't move anywhere.

The Italian restaurant was Mary Maestris, but I think that it is gone now.
My grandparents lived in Springdale. I had hoped to retire there, but now
we have 7 grandkids and my wife won't move anywhere.

Huh, I was thinking it was Venesian Inn, or something like that. I'll have to ask Mom if she remembers.
I was born in Siloam Springs and lived there and in Springdale for my first 6 years or so. Still have a few relatives
there, but most have passed on.

Now that restaurant is gonna bug me, I'll have to research it. :) Whatever it was called, it was very popular- and well known.

Brenda, the Venesian Inn was there as well. They had great food. Wish I could
go back in time and try it again.

I miss the Helluva Good Onion Dip and lots of Cains products. Looking at the fridge... Where's the Gansett and Autocrat coffee syrup? Great brisket!

Welcome Chris!
“ Little Rhodie-Biggest little state in the Union!”
The farthest North I’ve been is Newport except when traveling through to Cape Cod and Boston.

Last edited:

Back