A bit of Genesis restoration fun

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
Calling all restorers!

I am considering embarking on a fun project to create the optimum Weber Genesis grill based on an early Genesis model.

The ambition is to retain the core components but introduce a modern take on it and update the parts/features than would work best.

In my head it looks original but has more modern features akin to the modern models. I have restored many grills and tried to keep them as original as possible and as nature intended but this will be a little different.

My pick as the basis for this project is the red head featured in the photos, a grill that I enjoyed bringing back to life and adding a modern twist of the SS GBS grates, you get the idea!

Not the actual grill photographed but one will obtain in time. The larger frame I think offers more versatility as opposed to a silver b for instance.

What will be kept? The firebox, lid, side panels, enamelled control plate, knobs (probably), burners etc.

Ideally, I would keep the frame and modify in line with suggestions. My other thought on the frame is, would SS or aluminium be the choice if starting from scratch? Would you stick with the mild steel frame and have it porcelain enamelled like the lid?

Shelves, there are three to utilise, two on the top and the large one underneath. What would improve this? What about the folding shelves on many old genesis models? I am not a fan but can this be improved?

Wheels I think should stay the same, but the plastic castors have their haters, what improves this setup? Do we need 4 large lockable castors for mobility?

My plan is to create a modern Genesis old style grill by the end of 2024, it’s a bit of fun but I do want to create something special, and I would appreciate any positive input.

Sadly, I do not possess any computer-based design skills otherwise I would share my vision/s

Here today. If you have some positive workable ideas then please share, its not essentially money no object but as i said I want to
create a one off special aka prototype.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0606.JPGIMG_0610.JPGIMG_0612.JPGIMG_0615.JPG

I am thinking stainless steel shelves and lid handle. Modern looking knobs (or at least dyeing them black). A stainless frame would certainly be cool, of course. You could go with the very light gray paint they are showing on the 2024 Summit and which could be applied to a regular frame. Stainless rod grate with the Weber Crafted Kitchen inserts?

Mind you, I am only suggesting these things as off the cuff ideas for your pondering and not a statement that I think they would better than that stunning redhead already looks!

Old with a modern flare has me thinking the redhead with the touchscreen control shown on the new Summit🤣

It could be cool to implement the stainless straps on the hood like the current Genesis has. Those with a stainless handle and stainless trimming would maybe work. Although I’m not sure about the actual implementation, the OG Genesis was honestly pretty perfect and it’s difficult to alter perfect in a positive light.

I would definitely not use current Genesis knobs though!

Some thoughts.

Add table ends with tool holders using wood. Someone here has done this.

Improve the tilt up table mechanism. Silver B style works better than x000.

Increase the BTU slightly. 35K is stock. Silver B is 36K. Maybe 36 to 38K

Side burner? Recess it so it's level with the control panel. 20K BTU would make it match the burner in my cook top, a dual flame kitchenaid burner that gets hot and dials down for a simmer.

Add electric ignition like a 2008 side control 320.

Built in hidden lights in the handle.

Built in rotisserie storage

Last edited:
I’m for adding a second drop down table and making all tables with durawood and stainless zbars and screws.

If I was starting from scratch, I would remake the frame out of stainless steel. That way it lasts forever. Mild steel with a porcelain coating may rust from the inside out. Aluminum would be interesting, but it does oxidize over time.
Then I would modify it to fit the space it will live in and fit you. For example, maybe you are tall and want the grates and side shelves a little higher.
When I rebuilt two of my own early Genesis grills, I did the frames in stainless, but I pretty much built them to the same dimensions as the original frames. If I was to do another one, there are a couple of things I might look at changing.

The first thing is the flip up table on the left. I don't really use it much and it is kind of in the way when it's flipped up. Also, it sits a bit lower than the side shelf. If I were to do it again, I might toy with making the left side shelf wider. Maybe double the width. Not only do you get a larger flat surface, but you also get longer "handles" for moving the grill around. That would help when you fill the grill with heavy grates and flavorizer bars. Most importantly, it allows you to put your cold beer down a little farther from the heat of the grill.

Now, with a wider side shelf and the flip up table removed, the space under the side shelf could be utilized to fabricate a drawer or drawers for storing the barbeque tools. and other stuff. I store my tools right on the grates under the lid. It works, but I was thinking about getting a two-drawer toolbox to fit on the lower shelf. Can't find one that fits below the grease pan and it would be pretty low to be convenient anyway.

Keep us posted! Sounds like a fun project.

Gerry

Stainless frame. Porcelain coated would be extremely expensive and prone to rusting on uncoated surfaces and also subject to chipping. Aluminum would be OK, but not as easily welded as SS. You could start with and modifying a SS Platinum C frame to make it all easier instead of starting from scratch.

Thanks for the ideas so far. More ramblings.....

Firebox, flavorizer bars, burners, control panel to be OG probably along with the 8 inch wheels
and plastic castors. need to maintain traditional look but still sort of reimagined!!

Frame material: SS seems most popular option, does this mean retaining natural SS finish?

Frame mods: I agree with Gerry, wider shelves are more practical and the underside drawer
idea went through my head so under consideration. If the frame is wider is the additional width
front or back? I guess if widening the shelves more at front seems logical but what does one do
with the extra space at front of firebox? Storage? looking at the new slate griddle the storage and
clip on stuff looks good even if ripped from Traeger! Height increase another must imo, for me anyway.

As for bottom shelf, maintaining the wooden slat look may help keep it looking authentic and as
again Gerry pointed out its so low down to be more useful as anything else.

will firebox and sides external remain black? I think yes. What color the hood? classic weber color?
Lime? something with a fade? what about a modern skyline edition?

Modding the frame may allow more options for a side burner but i planned not to include one tbh
but can consider again. a modern electronic ignitor sounds like a good idea to replace the clunky
one on OG model firebox.

Currently i have no idea where to get frame fabricated as this is one thing (amongst many other things!!)
i cannot do, i only want it made once rather than revisiting time and time again. Max depth in my head is
as wide as a current genesis model whatever that is? Width maybe a bit wider than OG perhaps?

food for thought!!

Thanks again

Thanks for the ideas so far. More ramblings.....

Frame material: SS seems most popular option, does this mean retaining natural SS finish?
I would (and did) retain the natural SS finish. Well, I polished it a little, but didn't paint it. I'll never have to fix paint chips.
Frame mods: I agree with Gerry, wider shelves are more practical and the underside drawer
idea went through my head so under consideration. If the frame is wider is the additional width
front or back? I guess if widening the shelves more at front seems logical but what does one do
with the extra space at front of firebox? Storage? looking at the new slate griddle the storage and
clip on stuff looks good even if ripped from Traeger! Height increase another must imo, for me anyway.
I was thinking making the shelves wider side to side. I think it simplifies construction. You just need two longer frame tubes.
As far as how wide? How much space do you have? I sometimes bring food out on a half sheet pan, (sometimes with a rotisserie spit installed) so you want at least that to fit on the shelf.
Sometimes I am using a large serving tray, or a couple of plates for hamburger fixings.
Gerry

If you want to retain the natural look SS then using a higher grade SS IE 316, 304 would be in order. If your plan might be to paint it, then don't go for the high priced stuff. Just grab some 430 series. As at that point your only real worry is "rust out or through" which would not happen with the 430 in all likelihood. Being 6'1" one thing I did not like on my Genesis was how low it was. I would build it a few inches higher for my liking. And with 4 casters to make it easier to put away, and also with drop down "side" shelves (not flip up in front) to make it easier to cover. I like the drawer idea as well

The below may determine the dimensions, i like the concept of old meets new and is Weber branded as well
as practical. 0.35"H x 14.40"W x 18.90"D by my reckoning utilising the cutting boards would widen frame about
four inches ish. Measuring the floor to grate height on my Gen jr (35 inches) i could raise this four inches easily.

If i make the grill taller (im 6ft 5in) maybe if 2 drawers can be incorporated into the bottom of the centre frame.
Lift the current wooden slat shelf up a bit and have 2 drawers below?

I am having mental block about the SS frame, more about it not being black and can one actually get it looking
good in reality? Maybe mock up using existing mild steel frames to establish finished design pre fabrication?

I have 2 spare frames, one silver b and 1 1000 frame size that were likely heading to the dumpster so nothing
lost initially.

Paul, it would have to be a front control cook box. Otherwise there would be no room for a side control panel.
Personally, I think starting off with a SS Platinum C frame would be the easiest. It would not take a lot to mod it into what you are looking for. This has the old time 13 bar deep fire box and would make Larry happy with the grate level being 38". The side shelves could be extended if necessary, but I find that I have plenty of room with the swing tables on this grill.

1705428120702.png

1705428210839.png

a question.

On a Weber Genesis Silver B or similar there are generally 2 sizes of square mild steel tubes utilized, can anyone
advise what size/gauge these are? In addition, i have seen previously on this site the fittings that sit in the end of
the tubes to enable fixing, again can someone point me in the right direction.

Plan a is to assemble a frame to kick this project off!!

1 1/4" is the main tube size for most of the frame and 1" is the size of the two side cross members on the leg bottoms for most Silver B grills. I think on some, the front and back frame pieces are 1" as well. But most of the grill is 1 1/4".

Here are the kind of tube connecting nuts you need: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/tube-connector-nuts/tube-connecting-nuts~/

You maybe able to find them on Ebay or Amazon for less $$$

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Do we know what thickness? Link below as options?

Paul, that thickness is a measurement from the tubing that you use. Those star nuts are pretty adaptable to inner diameter of the tubes as long as it isn't unusually thick. If the tubing that you use is similar to the thickness of the regular frame steel bars, then the star nuts linked above by me or steve should work fine.

If you need me to measure the thickness of a factory Silver B frame tube, let me know and I will try to warm up my caliper enough to get a measurement for you.

Back