A Ban On BBQ In Austin?

After posting this I found out that it was an older article and that the proposed ordinance has been dropped. Guess I'm a bit behind in my reading. My apologies guys.

I think it's come and gone but this did pop up in the news again for some reason. I can see why the people that live above Black's are complaining. Most have taken steps to deal with the problem.

My dad used to say that Austin is not really Texas.

True. It's also called "The People's Republic of Austin." The taxes are high and the government is overly regulatory and a bit intrusive, but the people are great. It's kind of a "lefty-libertarian" place that isn't too politically correct or annoyingly hippy-dippy. Small example: Bicycles are hugely popular, like they are in a lot of progressive places ... but almost nobody wears a helmet.

True. It's also called "The People's Republic of Austin." The taxes are high and the government is overly regulatory and a bit intrusive, but the people are great. It's kind of a "lefty-libertarian" place that isn't too politically correct or annoyingly hippy-dippy. Small example: Bicycles are hugely popular, like they are in a lot of progressive places ... but almost nobody wears a helmet.

I've found most people there are super nice.

I just heard Rush mention Frankin BBQ. Franklin BBQ sure is getting some free publicity out of it. Good for them.

I live in Austin and there is definitely not a ban or ever was one. There was a vote to the city council about making the bbq joints put $20k scrubbers on the smoke stacks but that was shot down. There were some neighborhoods downtown complaining about all the bbq smoke. Here is an article on it:

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/29047250/austin-city-council-drops-barbecue-smoke-ordinance

Last edited:
The war continues. Seems that residents near Black's in Austin are joining up to sue the place, claiming that the smoke diminishes the enjoyment of their property. The action is apart from the failed smoke ban, but the outcome may resurrect the zombie.

Back