A 10 point smoke!!

Remi

The wife left me home alone this weekend and cooking for "just me" means pulling some of last year's deer harvest from the freezer.

This story must start in November, 2012, when I harvested this 10 point buck with my bow at the peak of the Iowa rut:

IMG_20130203_233304_zps7cc0fa57.jpg

A true brute - this guy made my hunting season awesome, and this weekend's meals great.

Now, time for the food. I started Friday night off with jalapeno-cheese deer brats. Here they are going on the Jumbo Joe:

Here are the brats coming off the Joe:

Tonight I cooked a deer tenderloin using the salt/pepper tenderloin from the Cooking Topics on the Virtualweberbullet.com.

Here is the deer tenderloin out of the butcher's packaging:

Kosher salt then wrapped for an hour per the directions. Then on goes fresh pepper and white pepper:

And onto the mini it goes:

Smoked with a few apple and cherry chunks to an internal temperature of 130 degrees (I was shooting for 140, but forgot my wireless thermometer is 10 degrees off - time for a Maverick, but I digress), then onto the grill for a quick sear and a ten minute rest:

And after eating w/ grilled taters:

The meat is a little more red in the pictures than it actually was. The tenderloin had a great taste - it was slightly smokey, very juicy, fork tender, and had a great, flavorful crust - one of the best deer tenderloins I have ever had. I am definitely cooking this recipe again.

And a cheeseburger for the Mrs. as she arrived back home:

Oh - I'm a h*ll of a hunter, a decent cook, and a terrible photographer - so this is the best I got as far as photography is concerned.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Remi nice Buck! Polk County? Shame the wife missed out on the backstrap!

Copy and paste the IMG code off photo bucket.

Notice he's laying down, not sleeping....lol! This is the smallest buck I saw that year! There was 2 monsters that where on the property next store! All they did is let me watch them walk the fence line, Daily!!

Looks very nice. I think that 130 is a good temp for pulling such cuts of meat. You nailed it

My kids were raised on venison, pheasant, duck, chukar, grouse, and all the different fresh and salt fish. I love it when I see this. Well done with the smoked loin. I do mine with a wrap of bacon to keep some fat on it.

Remi, all the hellova hunters I KNOW, have NO IDEA how to cook. Zero skill.
They either married "chefs" or live with one.
Your plated game is MORE than ten points!

Back