9 lb pork shoulder picnic

Michael Goldman

TVWBB Fan
O.k. Folks, will be putting on my 18 wsm later today a pork shoulder..plan to start cook around 7:00 pm.all night cook.will inject,then rub.. Minion method,with kb blue bag.for this cook i will use foiled water pan filled with hot water.will decide if i will foil at 170.. Plan to pull at 190-195. Let rest ..hope to have pictures..open of course for any pointers..

Don't forget Mike, after 185-190 just go by tenderness, if it is a bone in butt that bone should turn and break away easily. If not just go with a skewer sliding in nice and easy. That may or may not be at 195.

Just finished inject and rub.followed.modify chris lilly's inject and rub.. Oh,yes, will use apple and oak..maybe a piece of hickory..

Starting at 7pm? For me, a shoulder that sizes takes 12 hours. Ending at 7am??? Kind of odd time frames.

Good morning. Chad,bill, pictures to follow ..12 hour time frame was just my starting windows..meat still on pit.pit temp 239,meat at 183..added some coals this morning.realize cook has to go to about 195-200 before it comes off.maverick is keeping me up to date..

Sorry guys, having a bad time trying to post pictures.links do not want to work for me today.. Will try again later.shoulder came out good. Off wsm at 195 internal.. Just a little dry, however will be good in sammies later today.hope to get those pics on later.

DSC04782.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nevermind on the pic hosting comment I had --- you obviously got it figured out. :)
195 internal & dry? How long did you let it rest before you tore into it?

Chad, never saw "picture hosting comment",no worries, always open for help all around.Ihave a new computer in the spare bedroom linked to our main computer in the other side of house via Wi-Fi dsl.. signal is not strong and at times I loose internet connect I might have to get a repeater..anyway,this forum has been such a help in giving advise on smoking..only have my wsm a few months ,so all of this "high end" smoking is fairly new to me. of course I have bq'd forever. having fun learning from you folks all about "real" smoking.. loving my wsm.to answer your question,most of the cook was at 240-250.. during the night temp dropped to around 235 low at 217,added fuel..Still meat was on for 16 hours. I pulled it off at 195.foiled and put in cooler for 45 min.being that I shredded it all,and will mix with sauce for sammies ,not worried,thanks again for any and all help.

Back