88 or 89 Genesis 3 clean up

I ordered these from Home Depot, they are a little smaller size overall than the original ones but fit perfectly on the axle. The important measurement is1/4"20220518_141417.jpg

The best way to clean up those axles is to put it in the end of your drill and hold a piece of sandpaper around it while spinning it. Starting with a coarse grit paper and working to a fine grit will make it shine like new. Give it a couple of coats of clear coat paint to keep it nice for years to come.

You can patch the rust holes with hi heat JB weld. I went a step further and sanded my patches down and repainted the drip tray with Rust-Oleum hi heat ultra. It came out pretty good20211008_153838.jpg for something I thought I was going to have to throw away.

Not keen on paint being inside the heated areas
Ordinarily I would agree with you, but since this was under the heat source and not over it I didn't worry too much about it. However, I will still give the disclaimer of " for display purposes only, don't do this at home"

This is the one I got from amazon:

Uniflasy Grease Tray with Catch Pan and Foil Liner Universal fits Nexgrill, Dynaglo, Cuisinart, Charbroil, Kenmore,BHG,Master,Expert Gas Grill,Drip Tray Pan for 2/3/4 Burner Grill 10Pcs Aluminum Liner - 15"-25.5" one

Looks like a cool item and workable. I still would not put paint (under the heat source or not) there is still VERY high temps down there. I'd simply line it with foil

It's probably made out of some kind of galvanized pot metal. I would think you would get at least a few years out of it.

This is the one I got from amazon:

Uniflasy Grease Tray with Catch Pan and Foil Liner Universal fits Nexgrill, Dynaglo, Cuisinart, Charbroil, Kenmore,BHG,Master,Expert Gas Grill,Drip Tray Pan for 2/3/4 Burner Grill 10Pcs Aluminum Liner - 15"-25.5" one

I really like the design of that drip tray - well thought out. My guess is it is galvanized steel. But, in the Amazon comparison at the bottom of the page it claims to be aluminum. Amazon has LOTS of errors in their descriptions so not sure I'd believe it. You could give the tray the magnet test and see if it has any ferrous content.

Back