88 or 89 Genesis 3 clean up

It would be the extra table that flips up on the left side and the rod and hardware that holds it up.
Jeana, it looks like the previous owner decided to remove that from the grill for some reason. Maybe they still have the parts in their garage or shed? You can't buy any of that stuff new anymore so another source would have to be found.

Picked up the steel 1" bar for the back bottom of the frame today as well as some paint. Got the firebox cleaned up enough and started working on sanding the rust spots on the frame. Trying to determine if I should completely disassemble the frame and paint, or paint it partially assembled. I think there is only 1 bolt left I have not removed.

Do the caps on the frame wheels and propane wheels just slide off?
PXL_20230503_223510188.jpgPXL_20230503_223523684.jpg

Do the caps on the frame wheels and propane wheels just slide off?
No, they need to be pried off and replaced. At least I never got them off without destroying them. You really only have to take one side off to pull it all apart obviously, but would still need replacement caps which can be found online or in a hardware store. They don't need to be Weber brand, nobody can tell the difference.

One of the things I did when I completely restored my old Genesis was completely disassemble the frame. I did this for a couple of reasons. One, I put a brass gun cleaning brush on a rod in my drill to get as much rust out of the inside of the frame pieces as I could and then sprayed Rust-Oleum rust reformer inside the tubes as well. Taking the frame completely apart made the runs much shorter. I also knew I wanted to get new paint on all the frame connection points because those get rusty too. I also knew I was going to replace all the bolts with new stainless steel ones so I basically had to take it apart anyway.

Jeana, it looks like the previous owner decided to remove that from the grill for some reason. Maybe they still have the parts in their garage or shed? You can't buy any of that stuff new anymore so another source would have to be found.
I did ask but have not heard back yet. I may have found one a couple of hours away and the guy might ship. If not I will probably keep my eye out for a donor grill.

Last edited:
That’s the rod used on Spirit 700s with a plastic table.
It won't work easily with the clamping strips used on slat tables.
It's interesting that they show this style under the grill I have and the Spirit 700S. It looks a little different than what I expected.

I'm cleaning the inside of the lid with a sponge and after drying have noticed done of the shiny part flaking off. Should I worry about this? Just knock off what's loose?

Attachments

• PXL_20230514_183647488.jpg
    PXL_20230514_183647488.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 6
The shiny coating is porcelain enamel. that stuff will crack instead of flake off. It is extremely durable.

Are the areas you are talking about the areas that I have pointers on? If so, run your fingers across those areas and make sure it is indeed recessed and not simply left over carbon which would feel raised compared to the surrounding shiny porcelain coating.

Untitled.jpg

Yep, while I always start with the razor scraper and then grab the steel wool and Simple green, I always keep the scraper blade handy, It is good at removing even small spots of carbon. Much easier than scrubbing with steel wool.

But, if you are keeping the grill for personal use, you have already gone beyond where you really need to. It won't be too long and it will look like it needs another round of work after a dozen or so cooks.

Back