7# Cubano šŸ– pork roast coming up

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Will decide when I start this in the AM if itā€™ll be a pulled pork or a roast.

Assembled the marinade and itā€™s in the fridge, chillin overnight.

I did this as a PP the last time and it was great.
Thread 'šŸ‡ØšŸ‡ŗ Cubano Porkie šŸ– Butt'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/šŸ‡ØšŸ‡ŗ-cubano-porkie-šŸ–-butt.93398/

1679811420801.jpeg

1679811442956.jpeg

And I saved the citrus rinds for the pan portion of the cook. Iā€™ll reserve the marinade so when this hits 150-160Ā° and place it in the tray, there will be lots of braising liquid for the extra flavor boost.

1679811500020.jpeg

And weā€™re up and running.

Live Signals so you can see me screw this up in real time šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Running B&B and Cowboy briqs. Thatā€™s what the stock shelves had. And two apple wood chunks.

1679850673579.jpeg

Bacon grease used paper towels (zero waste game) as fire starters.

1679850726297.jpeg

Getting that smoke up with a 15 minute heat up to temp.

1679850760614.jpeg

Tied up the roast as the Costco pack has the bone removed. This ensures a more even cook. Probed into center center position in the roast.

1679850842774.jpeg

Estimating a 7-8 hour cook. This isnā€™t dinner but to enjoy this week. Dinner is carne asada tacos.

Iā€™m running my cook over in Michaels thread on carnitasā€¦..pick coming right after this. Looking good from here man, feels like 2 people in 2 days mentioning Cubanosā€¦ā€¦..Michael said he got sick of watching me do it and made someā€¦ā€¦Thatā€˜s how I got started on the carnitasā€¦.I just couldnā€™t do it anymore and time stamps say it only took me under 2 hours to convince myself.
Hope you show final cooked pics, I usually aim for around the 138 to 140 to pull mine off the grill. When we go Cubans we pick up some Swiss Emmentalā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.itā€™s a nice treat.

Thatā€™s a bold move cottonā€¦ā€¦.lots of dark rum and pineapple. Looks like it will turn out greatā€¦.now just get on the carnitas train next week!
I do my carnitas in the oven. I posted the Kenji Lopez link. Iā€™ve done his method a few times with stellar results.

Next week is Passover. I have a jumbo cook coming up. Possibly two 12# briskets , smoked two separate nights. Plus all the sides that go along with Passover.

I hate reading your posts and looking at the pics.

Because you make me think about a WSK.

When all I really need is your skillset. Beautiful work as always!
I am an enabler. I can write you a note to present to the Mrs. that you need a WSK. Itā€™ll ail all thatā€™s wrong in this world and make your life better.

You can easily do this and all my cooks. I do try to keep things simple and document my steps here.

Thank you for the compliment. Quite humbled to earn the respect of many good chefs here. And if it wasnā€™t for Weber making the WSK, Iā€™d still be stuck on a gasser and my 18 WSM.

Almost show time.

1679873381686.png

1679873411667.png

And the bees šŸ are back enjoying the flowering rosemary! Spring has sprung! Finally!

1679873982158.jpeg

1679874118524.jpeg

Todayā€™s helper:

1679874587684.jpeg

Last edited:
And weā€™re up and running.

Live Signals so you can see me screw this up in real time šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Running B&B and Cowboy briqs. Thatā€™s what the stock shelves had. And two apple wood chunks.

View attachment 68140

Bacon grease used paper towels (zero waste game) as fire starters.

View attachment 68141

Getting that smoke up with a 15 minute heat up to temp.

View attachment 68142

Tied up the roast as the Costco pack has the bone removed. This ensures a more even cook. Probed into center center position in the roast.

View attachment 68143

Estimating a 7-8 hour cook. This isnā€™t dinner but to enjoy this week. Dinner is carne asada tacos.
Love the setup with upside down charcoal basket to hold everything in place! Genius!

Looking good, I would say you got a passing grade as the amount of bbq work this weekend was about enough......
I will see you next weekend, I might not be able to make the grade as there are lots of things to do not at my house....but we will try.

Love the setup with upside down charcoal basket to hold everything in place! Genius!
the 2/3 placeholder is the right amount of fuel for this cook AND the carne asada that came after it. i have very little briqs leftover from yesterday's cooks.

my CB's get a very solid workout. i'm guessing i'll need new ones next season, maybe. mine are well worn now. to me, CB's are the secret sauce in using the WSK.

Last edited:

Back