🇨🇺 Cubano Porkie 🐖 Butt

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
First time doing this recipe, well sort of following the recipe.

Original thread here:
Thread 'Has anyone done a PP Cuban style?'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/has-anyone-done-a-pp-cuban-style.93395/

Recipe link here for quick reference: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241452/cuban-style-roast-pork/

Coals set up. Estimating an 8 hour cook or so. Butt was around 8# trimmed.

Did a 75% KPro load with apple and pecan woods. Lit this with three bacon 🥓 fat napkins.

1668962909817.jpeg

1668962959629.jpeg

1668962983790.jpeg

You can follow along here if interested:

I’ll be doing a citrus mop with dark rum in it.

Goal is to get to 165° IT on the WSK, wrap and add some of that citrus mop in the foil.

Hit 200-205° and then rest it up for large chunked shreds. Will likely broil the shreds for more texture and to caramelize the mop flavors.

Last edited:
CentCom for today. I haven’t added a live cam yet.

1668963427795.jpeg

The sun is finally warming up the patio. It’s a balmy 45° right now.

1668964075293.jpeg

Last edited:
I know what I WANT for dinner but, I’m making ginger roast chicken. It’s one of the first recipes I ever made. Not sure if I’ll kettle cook it or in the oven, depends on how the day goes.
I’ll be watching your cook anyway Brett!

7 hours 20 minutes and porkie is done and resting for an hour. The smell at my kitchen is intoxicating. Between the rum, citrus and spices, I’ve got high hopes for this dinner.

Made a slaw to go with it. Total fusion dinner.

Going to chunk up the butt and add the pan citrus juices and a little more seasoning and serve with flour tortillas and sweet rolls (gotta have choices) and that slaw.

Maybe a frozen rum blended drink too.

The WSK is such a stable cooker. It makes doing these LAS so easy and simple. And the ThermoWorks Signals too. Idk how I survived without it.

1668989938998.png

Last edited:
Yowza! That looks like I want to eat it!!! It would make a great Cubano with the leftover ham from last night!
By the time I got my old recipe finished we were hungry and cold so, sorry kids, no pictures, the aroma was what I hope wherever I go in the hereafter smells like! Onion, garlic, rosemary, apples, brandy and cloves.
52 years I’ve been making this and it always smells incredible!

Yowza! That looks like I want to eat it!!! It would make a great Cubano with the leftover ham from last night!
By the time I got my old recipe finished we were hungry and cold so, sorry kids, no pictures, the aroma was what I hope wherever I go in the hereafter smells like! Onion, garlic, rosemary, apples, brandy and cloves.
52 years I’ve been making this and it always smells incredible!
You’ve been making that almost as long as I’m here on earth. Any recipe to share?

Well that looks like a winner to me! Really like ingredients in that.
That looks great Brett!
this version was a hit. the savory flavors and that kiss of citrus at the end made for a great taste.

i used two large forks to pull the pork into larger chunks and then spooned the citrus from the pan atop the chunked pork, and dashed in some extra rub that i had reserved. made for a very flavorful PP.

the sprite, orange concentrate, fresh limes and their juice along with the rum created a very mellow citrus sauce. bbq it was nicely balanced between sweet and sour with neither being pronounced.

my son made a jumbo 4-buns Hawaiian sandwich (a 2x2 of the sweet hawaiian rolls all together) where he sliced the top from the bottom, buttered each side and pan toasted the bread. he then topped it with the PP and a slaw i made.

(slaw was some mayo, seasoned rice vinegar and some of the PP rub i had reserved, mix well and pour atop the shredded cabbage).

i had two flour taco tortillas warmed and added in the PP and slaw. wife had the same sans any buns or tortillas.

the beverage was crushed ice, generous pour of malibu rum, splash of cranberry juice and a topper of mango juice, then a few lime wedges squeezed in. refreshing and went well with the dish.

i enjoyed cooking this. super low maintenance and the WSK and Signals made this cook ridiculously simple. i was able to get a lot of work done as porkie absorbed the LAS heat. the 165F transfer to the roasting pan with the citrus poured atop porkie was just the right amount of citrus into the meat. would definitely do this method and cook again, even for company.

next time i'll whip up a lime cilantro may and fry off some plantains. and a side of black beans and cilantro rice would be a good compliment to this dish.

I might try this as my Thanksgiving cook! No joke. I don’t like Turkey and want to do something totally different this year! It’s between this and some beef chuck enchiladas…would definitely do rice and beans with either. Hmmmmmm…it’s great to have choices! 😬

I might try this as my Thanksgiving cook! No joke. I don’t like Turkey and want to do something totally different this year! It’s between this and some beef chuck enchiladas…would definitely do rice and beans with either. Hmmmmmm…it’s great to have choices! 😬
do read the original recipe which calls for marinating the pork. i skipped that part as i wanted to braise the pork post 165F. i was very happy with my final results. good smoked flavor and juicy and moist meat.

lmk if you have additional questions. and remember to re-size the recipe based on your butt's weight. i did a straight double of the rub which was more than enough to have.

My butt has been the same weight for an embarassingly long time (slapping knee!)
That said, turkey isn‘t a big desired protein here either, had considered a Crown roast of Pork but, bone in were not reasonably priced this go.
Changes to menu to be announced.

Back