7 bone chuck roasts for pulled beef.

Taylor Moseley

TVWBB Member
The Vons near my house has portions of 7-bone roast for a like 1.30$ a pound, and each is about 6-8 pounds. Would these be good for pulled beef? I've wanted to try that but whole chuck rolls have been to big and expensive for me to try.

I usually inject my pork butts, and I use one of the recipes from here for my briskets. I assume I'd use the rub Chris uses in his tutorial and that injection. Does that sound like a plan?

I do chuck roasts quite a bit. They are very tasty and with the amount of fat, they stay quite moist. My wife tends to prefer the chucks over butts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taylor Moseley:
The Vons near my house has portions of 7-bone roast for a like 1.30$ a pound, and each is about 6-8 pounds. Would these be good for pulled beef? I've wanted to try that but whole chuck rolls have been to big and expensive for me to try.

I usually inject my pork butts, and I use one of the recipes from here for my briskets. I assume I'd use the rub Chris uses in his tutorial and that injection. Does that sound like a plan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taylor they are fine for pulled beef and Chuck Rolls too if you're looking for something different!

They were 1.49$ I was wrong about the price but I got some because that's still a pretty good price, almost pork butts cheap. I bought two ~5 lb pieces, about 3 inches thick each. My only worry is that they'll dry out, because I'm using a Guru now and I don't use water. I wonder if there's some way to make the air moist without having to refill the water pan constantly. The last cook I did, I used just an empty foiled pan and one of my butts dried up, even though the cooker was at 235 for most of the cook. I guess I'll just inject them a lot and hope for the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taylor Moseley:
My only worry is that they'll dry out, because I'm using a Guru now and I don't use water. I wonder if there's some way to make the air moist without having to refill the water pan constantly. The last cook I did, I used just an empty foiled pan and one of my butts dried up, even though the cooker was at 235 for most of the cook. I guess I'll just inject them a lot and hope for the best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Water in the water pan does nothing for adding moisture to the meat being cooked, period. It's there as a heat sink to help keep temps low. I have not used water in my WSM for over 5 years now and have no issues. If the meat was dry then you over cooked it. HTH

Any idea how long these will take to get to 165-170 at 225? They are about 5 pounds each. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It depends on thickness. When I do 18 lb chuck rolls I figure 1hr - 1 hr 15 min per lb for the total cook time but they are quite thick. Your typical chuck roast isn't very thick so shouldn't take more than 2-3 hrs I would guess.

well it's been 7 hours, and one roast is 157 in the middle, the other is 145. It's been windy all day, and I set the pit to 250 a couple of hours ago. I've never had anything stay this cold this long, especially give that these are about as thick as a brisket. Part of me just wants to foil and turn up the heat, and part of me thinks that rushing it would just ruin my meat. What do you guys think?

Well Both are foiled now, I'll turn the guru up a bit and check in an hour. I usually went wide open for High heat briskets, I'll see how 325 does.

well it's been 7 hours, and one roast is 157 in the middle, the other is 145. It's been windy all day, and I set the pit to 250 a couple of hours ago. I've never had anything stay this cold this long, especially give that these are about as thick as a brisket. Part of me just wants to foil and turn up the heat, and part of me thinks that rushing it would just ruin my meat. What do you guys think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very odd indeed that it took that long to come up to temp? 225º is on the low end but... Have you ever checked your thermo for accuracy? Just a thought.

Back