# 6

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Weber that is!
With retirement 4 years away, I have told Pammi that I want our daily grill to be a JJ, something I can cook a whole chicken or half a turkey on. I'm going to turn my black, wood handled SJ into a mini WSM for ribs and butts.
She was looking at her Facebook yesterday, and someone had 2 JJ's! One new and in the box, the other used. Pammi asked her if she'd take $35 for the new one and she accepted her offer!
Here it is right after we got it, and it's in the shed now.
48399623956_22a4180b42_k.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Phil Perrin, on Flickr[/IMG]
I was hoping to maybe get one at Target around Labor day when they discount all their grilling stuff, but this is even better!
Next up, a Q for gas grilling!

I bought a JJ a couple years ago. Very fun to cook with. You can set it on a table and cook standing up, or just as comfortably cook while setting in a lawn chair. Small enough to take with you and room to cook. I love it. Congratulations. Can’t wait to hear how you like it.

I love my JJ. It's perfect for taking with us in the camper as I can use it to grill on and also use it as a firepit. Even better to get one on a deal.

We have one but I rarely use it as the design of the vents causes it to not stay lit with the lid on. I have tried it with briquettes and with lump and same results either way. Get a good fire going food on lid on fire out within a few minutes (and YES I know where the vents are and keep them fully open)

Phil, you're going to really like that JJ. It's perfect for two people and uses a lot less charcoal than a full size kettle. I have a mini I made about 5-6 years ago and use for my bacon, butts and HH chicken. I also have an 18.5 WSM that I use mostly for ribs and briskets.

This is a cart I made from an old Genesis 1000 frame for the JJ and 18.5 WSM.
28434581667_13d9896f3d_z.jpg
[/url]100_1360 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Get a vortex and a grill with a removable center and make some great kettle fried crispy chicken.
29785765178_7ca0ddd4ff_z.jpg
[/url]100_3662 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

We have one but I rarely use it as the design of the vents causes it to not stay lit with the lid on. I have tried it with briquettes and with lump and same results either way. Get a good fire going food on lid on fire out within a few minutes (and YES I know where the vents are and keep them fully open)

Wow Larry that's really weird. I run mine almost exclusively with the lid on and never have a problem. Even with the vortex it gets screaming hot and we are at 5600 feet. Really don't understand that one.
Although I always run a two zone fire unless using the vortex and I use a charcoal basket for the coals on the back side of the grill.

The reason Weber came out with the origional Jumbo Joe or SJP is that it's a tailgating grill. It had the locking lid handle for ease of transporting, and the side vents so ash or hot embers stay inside.
I have an 06 and it's alright for burger, dogs, brats. I bought my Son the newer version and that does a better job, and he can do some indirect.
Also the newer one uses a standard 18.5" kettle or WSM top grate. The older one uses a special grate closer to 19" which I don't believe Weber offers anymore.

Tim

I tried everything in that photo. The ONLY way coals stay lit in mine is if the lid is off. That's one reason why mine just sits out in the back yard and hasn't been used in 15 years or so

Back