500 days until retirement

I started the countdown December 2009, I think it was 4970 days to go. It hit 500 days to go at 4PM today (assuming I work until 4PM 12/31/24) so how do I celebrate 500 days until retirement? Burgers baby! Slideshow, slide right

Congrats!
I counted down based on retiring at 62 but the wife decided our youngest was going to a 50K+ University, so I postponed it for 4 years. Didn't count down again and the time went much faster.

LOVED my job, something new to challenge me nearly every day, worked up to my max SS retirement age of 70. No money worries now, all the bills are paid, have a surplus income nearly every month. 5 years into retirement (had to coast into that last year with our savings), but I wish the same for you and everyone else...a reward for a life well-lived.

Like I tell our kids, the most expensive thing you will ever have to pay for is a style of living.

I'm 4 years out min to get my youngest through college.
Someone once said that a man who makes his vocation his avocation will never work a day in his life. Words to live by. I'm still doing the stuff I got paid to do. I am so blessed!

EDIT: One of the funniest stories in my working career...i was downstairs, replacing the fluorescent lamps in the inspection area, when the VP in charge of the dept. asked me to grab a ladder and go upstairs...some of the office people thought there was a dead animal somewhere in the drop ceiling. So I grab a ladder, go upstairs and I'm poking around with a flashlight, and not finding anything. As I climb down from the ladder, one of the young sales women pulls me to one side and discreetly tells me that the Prez eats an organic diet with fruits and nuts and is not ashamed to let 'er rip when the need arises...and quite often it smells like something died.

Last edited:
Good for you!! Exciting time of life for sure. Best wishes @ChuckO

I retired Jan 1, 2022, early retirement at age 55 and could not be happier with the choice....well, I suppose a larger bank account would make me happier, but then I'd still be working. So, I chose a more cash conservative quality of life over the slave pit. Balance. That, and men in my family tree are not super long lived, so figured I better get out while the getting is good. I know too many people that retired and then didn't get too many good years in afterwards.

It's crazy how there always still seems to be something to do...don't know how I managed to hold a full time job and still get things done!

Congrats!
I counted down based on retiring at 62 but the wife decided our youngest was going to a 50K+ University, so I postponed it for 4 years. Didn't count down again and the time went much faster.
I had to add two years to my countdown because my son wasn't satisfied with a Bachelors, he wanted his Masters. Have to admit it wasn't a bad move on his part, my daughter is a BSN (Bachelors Registered Nurse) she started at a buck twenty five, he's a MSN (Masters Registered Nurse) he started at a buck seventy five

I think I have another 20 years ahead of me before I sell out and retire. But we already started traveling and seeing the world. No reason to wait or delay travel. Self employed. I get to choose which Sundays I work.
You're doing pretty dang good if I don't say so myself. Live the dream because when the dream is over, most likely so's the living, LOL

Back