4th of July High Heat Brisket Cook

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
Thought I'd post up my results in the bbqing section as I have some questions.

First go using the High Heat (aka Hot & Fast) for brisket.

Prime whole packer from Costco weighing in at 13.42 lbs
brisket-label-7-4-21.jpg

Lots of fat to trim off - I didn't weigh the pile but I'd guess over 3 1/2 lbs, maybe a smidge more.
brisket-fat-7-4-21.jpg

Got it trimmed down as best as I could - I'm sure with more time I'll get better. And I went with a Texas style rub, 50/50 coarse Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. I went with Aaron Franklin's advice and went light on the rub.
brisket-rubbed-7-4-21.jpg

18.5 WSM setup was:
Pan In
No Water
KBB Fuel
Post Oak - 4 large chunks buried in the coals
Target Temp - 325F
Door upside down to crack open for more air flow for higher temps

The cook went pretty much to plan:
Meat on at 6am - I used a tip from Harry Soo's class of bowing the brisket with some wood chunks to get it to fit on the grate
brisket-smoker-7-4-21.jpg

Cooked for about 3 hrs 15 mins to get to an internal temp of 167F to pull and wrap - just couldn't get to the TVWBB HH instructions of 170F. And I didn't want to cook too long and dry it out before wrapping.

Wrapped in pink butcher paper and finished in the oven at 325F until probe tender.

I started probing with my quick read thermometer after 2 hrs in two spots; the point and the flat

At 1pm I got the point to 205F and the flat to 200F - and the probe went in smooth, like butter.

I then removed from the lower oven and moved to the upper oven (off) to rest until slicing and serving at 4pm
brisket-unwrapped-7-4-21.jpg

I didn't separate the point for burnt ends but did do the two way slice of the flat and a turn and slice of the point for cross cut pieces for each

Here it is plated with our sides: spinach (faux collard greens :giggle: ), baked beans, onion rings
brisket-plated-7-4-21.jpg

Results:
The choice cut pieces of the flat from the center were drape-over-the-finger tender and passed the pull apart test. Very flavorful, good balance of rub to smoke to beefy tender goodness.

But, the bark was not were I would like it - kinda lacking.

Point slices were melt in your mouth tender - maybe just a tad fatty. I noticed that with the flat slices, too. The fat didn't fully render out and/or I just left too much on and could do better trimming.

Overall though - very happy with the results for a backyard cook! The family gave me the thumbs up. (y)

Cook from meat on to rest was 7hrs + 3 hrs of rest for total time of 10 hrs. Not bad for a 13lb brisket.

My questions would be:
1. For HAF, do I go even hotter to get the bark to get to that 'burnt like a cinder' goodness before wrapping?
2. How aggressive should I go on the trimming on both the meat side and fat side so not to have too much fat on final slices?

Back