4lbs / 2kgs Wings on a Baby Q - Direct cooking

Christo C

TVWBB Member
Fired up the Q100 to try this - it only took 25 mins - cooked 4lbs of wings on direct. Set on low heat and flipped every 5 mins or less til done (25 mins) as per approach here (not mine)

Yes you have to be vigilant and turn often (I went shorter than the video - 8mins is too long) but you can fit a large amount of wings on a tiny grill (without the need for the trivet/foil indirect approach where you can't fit as much).

Wings on the left were Smokey BBQ, ones on the right Honey/soy (more stickier/sugary so will char more)

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

Last edited:
Nice messy cook there. :) I do my wings on my Genesis with direct heat. I like the blackening more crispy skin.
Did you have any kind of flare ups on the baby Q?

I love wings, and those look really good Christo! That's a full grill, and you managed it perfectly!

I'm looking forward to when my daughter brings back the Q I sent off to college with her......new apartment can't have a gas grill anywhere, and she doesn't have space to store it. I think I'll cover the grate in wings for my first cook! :)

R

Rich, if you are trying to season a grill, I can't imagine a better way to do it. Well seasoned and grilled wings are a delicacy in my book. But, I have trouble fitting enough on my Genesis 1000, let alone a Baby Q.

A year or so back my sister-in-law brought over a big pack of pre-seasoned wings for me to cook. I didn't know what would work best, so I decided to go with a big hotel pan on the grill and fry them up. I think I put a bunch of butter in the bottom of the pan. It worked, everybody like them, nothing stuck, no grill lines obviously.

Nice messy cook there. :) I do my wings on my Genesis with direct heat. I like the blackening more crispy skin.
Did you have any kind of flare ups on the baby Q?
Thanks Bruce - no flareups - lid was down. Yes normally would do my genesis with more real estate but its on the patio and it was pouring yesterday so gave it a shot on the baby q under cover and to see how much could load on. With wings there are never enough!

Cleaned up ok after a good burnoff and scrape drown

I love wings, and those look really good Christo! That's a full grill, and you managed it perfectly!

I'm looking forward to when my daughter brings back the Q I sent off to college with her......new apartment can't have a gas grill anywhere, and she doesn't have space to store it. I think I'll cover the grate in wings for my first cook! :)

R
Thanks Rich - yep happy with how much you can actually load up on a full grate - you could probably fit in another 10x if all the same - I just had two different batches in the freezer

I agree with Larry on the price of wings. I used to be able to buy them all separated with the wing tips removed for much less than it costs for the full separated wings now. I usually do mine with a Buffalo Wing sauce that I found a few years ago. They are always a hit by everyone when I cook them. I am looking at a ham for Christmas, but a big batch of Buffalo wings sounds like a good follow up. But, I will be doing them on the Genesis.

Off topic. I noticed you did the regulator bypass. I did this with a standard regulator and it turned my Q into a fire breathing dragon. I can never go over the lowest setting. How did you get this to work?

Hank, I had the exact same issue when I first did this mod. It was the regulator. The one I used was from Home Depot. Some "low pressure" regulators are higher than others. I left it that way for a while. It was great for doing burgers and stuff quick. Heated up in a couple minutes and could really get smoking. But, like you, there was no way to do any kind of low grilling what so ever. I swapped in a new one and it went back to normal. It takes about 15 minutes to hit 400 and maxes out there now. (lid thermometer). Before I would eclipse 500 in 5 minutes probably and keep going if on HI.

I think this one will work better for you.

If you need one with a longer hose, this one should work, but you will need an adapter.

Hank, I had the exact same issue when I first did this mod. It was the regulator. The one I used was from Home Depot. Some "low pressure" regulators are higher than others. I left it that way for a while. It was great for doing burgers and stuff quick. Heated up in a couple minutes and could really get smoking. But, like you, there was no way to do any kind of low grilling what so ever. I swapped in a new one and it went back to normal. It takes about 15 minutes to hit 400 and maxes out there now. (lid thermometer). Before I would eclipse 500 in 5 minutes probably and keep going if on HI.

If you need one with a longer hose, this one should work, but you will need an adapter.
Thank you, I’ll order this today.

Bruce,

I just got around to this today and I used the regulator off my donor E310. It is behaving much more civilized now!

Thanks Again

Back