3rd Smoke, Temp Question

BWalkerPA

So my first smoke was wings and it was awesome, second was a spatchcok chicken that was even better. Now i'm trying a brisket flat. Did the minion method to start with 3 peices of pecan and 1 apple.

At the two hour mark i did a temp check and to check bark and see if I should spray or anything. There was nothing for me to do but I did notice that the grate temp jumps up really high after I put the lid back on. The temp at the grate is now reading like 300 while the lid thermemetor shows 275. I'm assuming the jump is normal due to the influx of air but how long do you guys normally let it ride high before trying to adjust down. I only have the bottom dampers open like 10-15%.

Last edited:
Chicken was the second cook I never posted. Brisket is today’s at the 2hr mark.

Attachments

• EAB81134-D2D5-4B2C-AB4D-ACF4E2372829.jpeg
    EAB81134-D2D5-4B2C-AB4D-ACF4E2372829.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 8
  • F11FF415-4F18-41D9-813A-103D170D3676.jpeg
    F11FF415-4F18-41D9-813A-103D170D3676.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 8
I generally wait ten or fifteen minutes after opening to make adjustments, let things settle back in a bit. But, that being said, I don’t tend to open no matter how much I WANT TO! I do my best to not open at all until I hit the stall. How big is the flat? I don’t open at all unless I have a dying fire issue which needs attention but. That’s just me. I don’t wrap, spritz, or really do very much at all but, I also do full packers, never done a flat by itself.
Don’t sweat an occasional spike, it can be caused by a wind shift changing the way the fire spread is running too, at those vent positions, I think you will be fine, don’t peek for another four hours. It will be fine. Have a breakfast beer!

I plan too butcher paper wrap at the stall but don't plan to touch it for another 1.5hours unless something crazy happens. I have only opened it once so far which i'm proud of lol, i want to open so bad. Thanks for the advice.

Can a bad wrap make a brisket take longer? This thing is 8 hours in at a constant temp of 250-275 and Somehow even though I probed multiple places at 165 is giving me a 158 reading. I am very confused.

Just be patient grasshopper, the barbecue cannot be rushed, it will be done when it’s done. How big was this rascal?
You’ve got 40 degrees to go, just wait it out, almost five now, mix a batch of Manhattans and start making some side dishes to get your mind off the beef.
Don’t forget, when it’s gotten to temperature you have to let it rest! I’d foil it and let it rest for an hour at least. But, I don’t know how patient your guests will be. It will be fine, no peeking. How’s the heat holding?

Just be patient grasshopper, the barbecue cannot be rushed, it will be done when it’s done. How big was this rascal?
You’ve got 40 degrees to go, just wait it out, almost five now, mix a batch of Manhattans and start making some side dishes to get your mind off the beef.
Don’t forget, when it’s gotten to temperature you have to let it rest! I’d foil it and let it rest for an hour at least. But, I don’t know how patient your guests will be. It will be fine, no peeking. How’s the heat holding?
The heat was holding well. I made an executive decision to pull it off re wrap in tinfoil and finish in the oven. I had parents in and I couldn’t keep them until 8 lol. I will say it came out amazing. It was 7.7lbs before any trimmings. It was a tad tough and dry but tasted fantastic.

Attachments

• FEDAAD74-12BD-4A10-941E-CE75E80FBBAD.jpeg
    FEDAAD74-12BD-4A10-941E-CE75E80FBBAD.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 8
When you do an overnight, the first one you won’t get much sleep by the time you’ve done 5 you might not bother to set an alarm! My last brisket was slated for a finish hour of 2 PM but, when I woke up at 6:00 it was done! Wrapped, toweled, and in the cooler! That was just crazy! No two pieces are ever the same.

Yup.
Ive had briskets take 9.5-21 hrs
Depends on meat, and temperature.

My fastest....were largest....go figure.

I've been doing my big cooks the day before and reheating them in the oven at 250°F, which takes a lot of the pressure off getting it done in time. Both of the big cooks I've done have involved ribs and pork butt, so there's a bit more fat to keep it moist when reheating. Also with pulled pork it gives it some extra time to redistribute the smoke flavors throughout. I don't know if that changes with brisket.

Back