3rd attempt at brisket flat

Taylor Moseley

TVWBB Member
Ok, I'm trying brisket again, after two attempts that ended up tough. Last time the taste was pretty good, but it wasn't moist even after foiling and using the high temp method. My best guess is that I'm pulling them too early, I'm gonna try to check feel with a fork instead of a probe. My goal this time is too tender, so I injected a bit of beef broth too. I also used a bigger piece of meat, 5 pounds intead of four. If this one doesn't turn out I'm going to stop using costco, because the past two times I was there, all they had was trimmed flats, maybe too trimmed. Maybe I'd have better luck with packers from Walmart or Smart'n final.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taylor Moseley:
Ok, I'm trying brisket again, after two attempts that ended up tough. Last time the taste was pretty good, but it wasn't moist even after foiling and using the high temp method. My best guess is that I'm pulling them too early, I'm gonna try to check feel with a fork instead of a probe. My goal this time is too tender, so I injected a bit of beef broth too. I also used a bigger piece of meat, 5 pounds intead of four. If this one doesn't turn out I'm going to stop using costco, because the past two times I was there, all they had was trimmed flats, maybe too trimmed. Maybe I'd have better luck with packers from Walmart or Smart'n final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Costco briskets are always overly trimmed.

That may or may not be your problem, but I'd guess it's playing a part. I like to foil briskets at 165* then check temp/feel at 185* and then continue every 5* until tender.

I've had great luck with WalMart briskets when they carried them around here. They were select but turned out as well or better than most choice briskets.

Well, my fire nearly went out twice due to using lump and the wind making it burn faster than I expected. So it was 10:30 when I got to eat, but man it was an improvement this time. It was definitely a little to tender, it fell right apart. The slices basically fell in half and lots of sandwich meat bits fell off. I'll have to aim for slightly less tender next time.

Back