2nd WSM - 18.5" or 14"?

The only reason to get a 2nd 18" over a 14" is for more volume cooking. But since you already have a 22" you've got the volume cooking covered.

Get the 14. Or alternatively, get the expandable hanging rack for your 22 and a smaller charcoal ring.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still trying to make up my mind.

In addition to the 22" WSM I do also have a 22" OTG. I've used the OTG for PSB, wings, high heat (indirect) chicken), and very occasionally for ribs, but mostly it gets grilling action. It's just so much easier for me to control the temp on the WSM vs the OTG for cooks longer than an hour or two.

My practical side says, "Go with the 14" WSM, it's less expensive, more portable, and all you need", but my BBQ head side says, "Go ahead for the 18" WSM, it's not that much difficult to transport and can cook more food." We'll see which side wins out. :)

I have seen a few 18" WSMs on Craigslist for about the price of the 14". They seem to be in varying states of condition and old enough that they don't have the temp probe silicon grommet. My 22 WSM doesn't have the grommet, but It seems useful.

How many of you with the grommet model actually use it?

I don't use the grommet. I cut a notch in the rim and find that is preferable as I don't have to take out the probe to remove a grate or the meat, I just lift the meat, grate and probe. I also cut a notch on my 14.5.

unless you are cooking for more than 6 or 8 people all the time get the 14, and if you are cooking for more than that you already have the 22!

P5240012_zps92f20178.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still trying to make up my mind.

In addition to the 22" WSM I do also have a 22" OTG. I've used the OTG for PSB, wings, high heat (indirect) chicken), and very occasionally for ribs, but mostly it gets grilling action. It's just so much easier for me to control the temp on the WSM vs the OTG for cooks longer than an hour or two.

My practical side says, "Go with the 14" WSM, it's less expensive, more portable, and all you need", but my BBQ head side says, "Go ahead for the 18" WSM, it's not that much difficult to transport and can cook more food." We'll see which side wins out. :)

I have seen a few 18" WSMs on Craigslist for about the price of the 14". They seem to be in varying states of condition and old enough that they don't have the temp probe silicon grommet. My 22 WSM doesn't have the grommet, but It seems useful.

How many of you with the grommet model actually use it?
I have the grommet on both of mine and they are a pain. My probes are a battle to squeeze through and I feel like I'm going to break them. I'm planning on doing the temp probe mod to the mid section as soon as I have time. Just lazy and need to get a grinder disc from Home Depot.

On another note, having owned the 18.5, it was more delicate than the 14.5. Because of the size mine tended to warp or bend slightly when traveling unless I was super careful, and it didn't fit in one piece in my Fj cruiser.

Last year I made a trip to the desert and took my 14.5. I got there about 9:30pm and opened the back door of my Fj and started unloading. All in the sudden my kids started fighting in the back seat and knocked a bunch of stuff out the back. I heard a bang and realized my almost new wsm hit the ground and looked like r2d2 on its side. It fell from around 4 ft high and landed on rocks. Talk about a heart attack! Believe it or not, it wasn't warped or damaged in any way. So it's pretty durable. That's when I started bungee cording it to the back seat.

Check your local OSH if you have one. They have the 14.5 on clearance. I believe I got it for $150. I recently did a 16 hour butt on it and it held temp great. I did have to add some charcoal at around 12-13 hours, but I consider that pretty good. I do like the grommet for the probe for air temp cause you don't have to try and find space to put it on the grate, but for the meat, it's a pain. I'm going to notch it before my next cook

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I have a 22" and love it but looking for something smaller when I'm cooking for 2-4 ppl. In Canada the 14" is $249 but I can also find used 18's occasionally for $200. Tough decision

Get the 14, you will never regret it. Yesterday I did 3 racks of baby back, 2 cut in half on a rack on top and 1 more cut on the bottom grate, I could have done 4 racks if I had used a rack on the bottom grate (and I would have had to have bought the extra rack).
I don't know about your guests or the people who normally eat at your house but at my house half a rack of baby backs as well as sides, salad, slaw, beans, bread, if enough for each person and actually alot of times I find people if given sides will only eat 1/3 of a rack so 4 racks can feed 12 people. Ideally I find that the 14 can easily cook for 4-6 people or less, which is 90% of my cooking. If I am going to cook for more I go with the 22.
Get the 14, you will be amazed at how much you can cook and how little coal it uses.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 14.5" WSM. I figured that with the 22" WSM I already have I'm covered on volume and the smaller 14.5 WSM will easier to transport and to cook for 1 - 2 than t he 18.5" WSM. It should be here in time to get her ready to go this weekend.

Thanks for all the comments and advise!

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 14.5" WSM. I figured that with the 22" WSM I already have I'm covered on volume and the smaller 14.5 WSM will easier to transport and to cook for 1 - 2 than t he 18.5" WSM. It should be here in time to get her ready to go this weekend.

Thanks for all the comments and advise!

Sam if you're anything like me, you will be absolutely shocked when you assemble the 14.5 and see how small it is compared to it's bigger brothers. It's like a floor sample model. I almost returened mine before even cooking on it but I'm sure glad I didn't. Last night I did two 6 lb whole chickens for BBQ chicken sandwiches for the week. I used probably less than a quarter of a bag of royal oak lump 8.8 lb and set my party q to 350. Threw in a chunk of hickory and watched my Thermoworks dots and pulled them off at 165. After it cooled off I cleaned it and still had more than half the charcoal left. Every time I cook with it I'm so glad I didn't make a huge mistake and return it. Love that little 14.5.

Sam if you're anything like me, you will be absolutely shocked when you assemble the 14.5 and see how small it is compared to it's bigger brothers. It's like a floor sample model. I almost returened mine before even cooking on it but I'm sure glad I didn't. Last night I did two 6 lb whole chickens for BBQ chicken sandwiches for the week. I used probably less than a quarter of a bag of royal oak lump 8.8 lb and set my party q to 350. Threw in a chunk of hickory and watched my Thermoworks dots and pulled them off at 165. After it cooled off I cleaned it and still had more than half the charcoal left. Every time I cook with it I'm so glad I didn't make a huge mistake and return it. Love that little 14.5.

Dan, your right it does look pretty small. I'm looking forward to putting her through the paces this weekend!

Of course when I bought my 22.5 it looked like a giant compared to my old 18.5. Now it looks normal.

I'm in the same situation as you are Sam. I've also had a 22.5"for a while, when I pull the trigger it's going to be an 18.5".

I've had the 22.5" for a couple years now.

I just bought the 14.5" last weekend. It should be perfect for my smaller cooks!

I have a 22 and am considering a 14.5. My first cook was drum sticks. My second was 1 rack of ribs. My third was a 4lb brisket.

It took roughly 10 hours for the brisket to come up to 203 degrees. The 22 handled the cook time with no problem. Will the 14.5 go that long without adding coal?

My 14.5 can run about 8 hours without adding coal, but it is real easy to add , just take of the middle and top and set to one side add the coal and put back.

Back