2nd time using the WSM 22, first time all night, brisket

Bill Herns

All I have done are ribs thus far. I am thinking I will load up the ring at least 3/4, place some wood chunks, and put two briskets on about 11:00 PM and see what happens. It may dip into 30s. The briskets will be rubbed and I think injected (using Bill Gillespie's recipe from "Secrets To Smoking On the WSM and Other Smokers") I may use Kingsford Competition Coal. Undecided about water in the pan.
Advice? Am I missing anything?

put two briskets on about 11:00 PM and see what happens.
Brisket is expensive, at least where I am. If it were my "2nd time" I think I would probably go something a little less expensive, like a nice Boston Butt. That way you get a chance to try your overnight success and if you're not dialed in, you don't have to worry about the cost. You can't mess up a butt too much, but it doesn't take much going wrong to mess up a Brisket. Whatever you do, good luck! :wsm22:

I agree with Chuck. A full brisket is usually done in ten hours. I've never seen the need for an over-nighter, unless it's for lunch.

How big of a brisket are we talking about? Not only weight, but thickness also plays a role in cooking time. If you're cooking low and slow, 225-250, from my experience, 10 hours isn't nearly enough unless its really small. I agree with ChuckO that a butt would be a more logical choice for your first over night cook. They're much more forgiving. Whichever you do, I'd load the charcoal ring up full. Good luck!

Do you have probe therms to monitor temps? As long as you set alarms you should be ok doing an overnighter.

Point taken.
Ok....how about a Boston Butt overnight, get up early and throw the brisket on? 6ish?

Overnight cooks can be tricky! Not really a 'throw it on and see' kind of thing if you're after a good result, at least initially. Unless you've already bought the briskets I would agree with the crowd.

I recently did a 7 pound picnic, my 6 a.m. start turned into 7:30, and it took 11 hours. I let it rest almost an hour and had dinner at 7:30 that night. Cooked it low and slow, 225 - 250, no foil and it was awesome, but even a simple cook like this required some attention. Welcome, and best wishes with whatever you do cook.

Back