2nd smoke.. baby back ribs and a turkey breast.

Gary F

TVWBB Member
Did another cook at the weekend, some ribs and then because I had fuel left a Turkey breast. The ribs were lovely but could have done with another 30 minutes. The turkey was dry! I waited diligently until the internal temp it 165f but after reading up a little meat pasteurisation is a combination of both time and temperature so I could have pulled it at 150f as it held there for about 20 minutes!

Minimum Pasteurization Times For Selected Meat Temperatures*
Chicken & Turkey With 12% Fat

136°F (57.8°C) 82 minutes
140 (60.0) 35 minutes
145 (62. 14 minutes
150 (65.6) 5 minutes
152 (66.7) 3 minutes
154 (67. 2 minutes
156 (68.9) 1 minutes
158 (70.0) 41 seconds
160 (71.1) 27 seconds
162 (72.2) 18 seconds
164 (73.3) 12 seconds
166 (74.4) 0 seconds

Ribs went on for 2-1-1
turkey was on for about 5 hours! hence the dryness... I'm still learning.. it went to 150 and stayed there for a good while.. same with 156! I ran out of fuel so foield it and put in the oven at 300.. it quickly climbed to the magic 165.. what silliness.. common sense will prevail from now on. I will take my food to near the "perfect temp" and check for doneness. Brisket I will start to test at 180, pulled pork at 190 and chicken I will take it to 150 and wait 10 minutes to ensure all the bugs area dead.

membrane be gone!

V4RKqZVa86L2UKkm7

4 racks of baby backs on my wsm 22.5, could have got another on there.. ver glad i got the 22.5 and not the 18.

Smoking - 2 chunks of apple and some auusie heat beads, temp held solid at 250 by the Qmaster Lite.

This is after 2 hours in foil, I brushed liberally with BBQ sauce at this stage and left them on the foil to aid the cleanup operation.

Plateful - not sure the coleslaw is relevant..

Money shot.

Turkey cooked

Turkey dry as a bone! very healthy though. I have already eaten about 2 lbs of turkey since Saturday.. its quite nice with a few salad items on for moisture.

Last edited:
Every thing looks good. I've found that boneless turkey breast has a very small window of time/temperature from being very moist and tender to cardboard. I've been cooking mine at around 325 and pulling at 150-155 and lightly foiling and let it rest for 20-25 minuets. So far it's worked out very well.

Every thing looks good. I've found that boneless turkey breast has a very small window of time/temperature from being very moist and tender to cardboard. I've been cooking mine at around 325 and pulling at 150-155 and lightly foiling and let it rest for 20-25 minuets. So far it's worked out very well.

Yes Richs turkey has been great doing this way, give it a try I think you will be very please with it. Now those ribs are to die for, they look fantastic along with your sides outstanding plate pic Gary.

excellent advice... I got caught up on the 165!

Yes Richs turkey has been great doing this way, give it a try I think you will be very please with it. Now those ribs are to die for, they look fantastic along with your sides outstanding plate pic Gary.

thanks. it was enjoyed by all..

Great looking cook Gary. Those ribs look perfect to me.

thanks Cliff, I think they needed another 30 minutes.. they weren't pull apart tender in the middle section. Alas we had to eat as my son had a party to attend.. the light up took longer than expected.. you live and learn. I am leaving an hour to get setup in future.

Back