2nd Cook Saturday: Brisket & Fatties!

Don Gross

TVWBB Member
On Saturday I'm firing up the WSM to cook a 9lb. cryo-flat from Sam's for Saturday dinner, and some fatties for Easter brunch.

The impetus of this cook was my desire to have some breakfast fatties for Easter brunch. Since it'd be a shame to fire up the WSM for just a 3hr. fatty cook, I decide to try my 1st brisket. Definitely planning to put up some pix post-cook.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. What's the best way to re-heat the fatties on Sunday? Keep in mind we're singing at 2 services at church so we'll be out of the house from about 9:00 - 12:30.

2. I'm going low & slow, not HH. Any suggestions on how early I need to get the brisket on so I'm able to have it resting in a cooler by 5:00pm? I also have some church responsibilities Saturday evening and will be gone from 5:00 - 7:00.

Thanks!

OMG I have never heard of fatties either, but some of those look AMAZING. This website just amazes me more and more each day...Where can I find some recipes for these fatstacks????

Don check this out. When to Start It talks about butts but someone will chime in about Brisket. That might give you a window. Someone that knows a lot more than me said they like to keep their Brisket resting in foil in a cooler a couple of hours after it's cooked. Sorry I'm not more help but I'm learning too.

Oh I see fatties are just pork sausage rolls smoked or you can roll them out and stuff them with whatever you want right? Holy crap I am gonna make one this weekend...
icon_biggrin.gif
Any tips or tricks on them or are they pretty straight forward?

Pretty straight forward like you said.Some folk use 80/20 grnd.beef rolled out with the sausage on top or the other way around and you can stuff them with just about anything you like,the only thing I can think of is to watch how much you try to stuff it with. The meat will shrink up some as it cooks and if it's stuffed to much it'll break open.I like rolling mine so it makes a swirl in the middle when cut.
100_1915a.jpg

Good luck and enjoy

Holy crap Don what did you stuff that one with? It looks SO good! It looks like bacon on the outside, then pork then ground beef, cheese and onions? Did you smoke it then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Reed:
Pretty straight forward like you said.Some folk use 80/20 grnd.beef rolled out with the sausage on top or the other way around and you can stuff them with just about anything you like,the only thing I can think of is to watch how much you try to stuff it with. The meat will shrink up some as it cooks and if it's stuffed to much it'll break open.I like rolling mine so it makes a swirl in the middle when cut.
100_1915a.jpg

Good luck and enjoy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,
You have a good eye my friend. It's 2lbs of 80/20 chuck that was flattened out in a cookie sheet for uniformity, then 1lb of sausage spread out on that, then seasoned with chili powder,garlic powder and black pepper. Diced some onions and mixed with dijon(sp) mustard and spread across that then a 3 cheddar blend ,started at one end and rolled it up like a jelly roll.Put it in the fridge to let the meat set up a bit then did the traditional bacon weave. There is no wrong way to make one, except for not making enough of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Reed:
Tom,
You have a good eye my friend. It's 2lbs of 80/20 chuck that was flattened out in a cookie sheet for uniformity, then 1lb of sausage spread out on that, then seasoned with chili powder,garlic powder and black pepper. Diced some onions and mixed with dijon(sp) mustard and spread across that then a 3 cheddar blend ,started at one end and rolled it up like a jelly roll.Put it in the fridge to let the meat set up a bit then did the traditional bacon weave. There is no wrong way to make one, except for not making enough of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I am speechless....that sounds AMAZING. That is now on my list of things to try on my WSM. Thanks for the info!

Now take this to heart, when you make a fattie,do not,I repeat,do not make it useing ground buffalo and not tell the family until after it's in thier mouths.Just trust me on this one ..
icon_biggrin.gif

Back