22 WSM - Just got her assembled.

AKWoolf

Just got my company-gifted (see my earlier post) 22 WSM assembled. Took me about 20-25 minutes. The trickiest part was attaching the legs and ash-catcher/tray to the base. Having a helper could make that part easier. (Still not too bad) There is a protectorate coating on the grates, so make sure that you wash your hands afterwards.

20140322_114749_zps7c8611a8.jpg

I have read a lot about folks modifying their WSM's to install a grommet for the thermometer cords. On this model, I was lucky enough to have that feature included. It appears that Weber does pay attention to their faithful users!

20140322_114800_zpsa038c9f8.jpg

Also came with a decent cover...

20140322_114947_zps19d5a16e.jpg

Now... Time to get some Kingsford and Pork butts. Let the adventure commence!

Looks great! I too am new to the WSM world. Can't wait to really get going with my 22.5". What do you have yours sitting on?

Looks great! I too am new to the WSM world. Can't wait to really get going with my 22.5". What do you have yours sitting on?

My old grill was sitting on a pad to protect the deck. Not sure if it is necessary, but I figured that I would reuse it.

Sounds like a feast for the first cook.

Here's some unsolicited advice for the new user. A clean burning, long lasting fire is your most important technique to learn. Fill up the charcoal ring with unlit until you figure out how much you need for each cook. Pour your lit on top of the full unlit ring, assemble the cooker, and wait until it burns clean to start cooking. Once it burns clean add smoke wood thru the door. All smoke you see should come from your smoke wood.

It's really easy after that: if it's running hot close vents either independently or simultaneously. Don't be afraid to use the top vent up to 50% if you've got your bottom vents barely cracked open and it's still running hot. (top vent should always be open more than the bottom vents combined). And if its running cool open vents starting with the top vent. Nothing to it.

Oh yeah -- have fun!

Sounds like a feast for the first cook.

Here's some unsolicited advice for the new user. A clean burning, long lasting fire is your most important technique to learn. Fill up the charcoal ring with unlit until you figure out how much you need for each cook. Pour your lit on top of the full unlit ring, assemble the cooker, and wait until it burns clean to start cooking. Once it burns clean add smoke wood thru the door. All smoke you see should come from your smoke wood.

It's really easy after that: if it's running hot close vents either independently or simultaneously. Don't be afraid to use the top vent up to 50% if you've got your bottom vents barely cracked open and it's still running hot. (top vent should always be open more than the bottom vents combined). And if its running cool open vents starting with the top vent. Nothing to it.

Oh yeah -- have fun!

I did pretty much these steps exactly. These tips are very similar to the tips in the Weber Smoker book that I purchased from Amazon. (Page 20)

I checked it during the first 30 minutes and the temps were running at about 200 F. I slightly adjusted the vents, checked it again an hour later, it was running at exactly 225. Checked the temp again 30-45 minutes later. Same 225 F temp. Magic! :) (using water pan about 1/2 - 3/4 full). So far, so good!

Thanks for the tips!!

Had to add hot coals at about 4 hours. (had dropped to about 200) Going into hour 5 - the WSM is back to a nice 225. Adjusted the vents. I think that the coals were burning too quickly initially.

Sometimes when the temp drops, all it takes is a couple love taps to the legs to knock the ash off the burning coals...

Also, knowing what your lid thermo temps are compared to the cooking grate temps are a big help. Not saying all are like this, but here's my 22.5 WSM

A9DED658-4731-44FE-ADDF-4EF2FF5852AE-567-000000358E89DF0D_zpsac2aead4.jpg

311D9714-F514-4201-B0E1-4D0907349A53-567-00000035302AF022_zps8b01e362.jpg

2F86D42D-7C72-4947-9C25-498E8E9F6CA1-567-000000357165E7A4_zps0c848aa3.jpg

Also, knowing what your lid thermo temps are compared to the cooking grate temps are a big help. Not saying all are like this, but here's my 22.5 WSM

A9DED658-4731-44FE-ADDF-4EF2FF5852AE-567-000000358E89DF0D_zpsac2aead4.jpg

311D9714-F514-4201-B0E1-4D0907349A53-567-00000035302AF022_zps8b01e362.jpg

2F86D42D-7C72-4947-9C25-498E8E9F6CA1-567-000000357165E7A4_zps0c848aa3.jpg

Those temps are opposite than I would expect. I always thought dome temp would read higher than grate temp. My 22.5" did the same thing though. Dome temp lower than grate. What gives?

OK... So here is the recap thus far:

Started at 4PM U.S. EST. I have essentially had to replenish the WSM with hot coals/mixed with unlit coals every 2 hours. After the initial cool down, the temp stays at a steady 225 for about 90-100 minutes. At the 2 hour mark, the temps have consistently fallen to 200 degrees F. I go through the process of lighting additional briquets in my chimney and then adding them to the WSM. The temp again stabilizes to right around 225. (After a few minutes)

The amount of Kingsford I am using seems a bit excessive. I have already used one of the bigger bags and started into another. It is a bit breezy and the temps are hovering right above freezing, with a few flurries. I am thinking that the breeze has something to do with it. I have closed the vents to about 25% or so at this point.

Having to add charcoal every two hours - is this about normal? I am using a full chimney of lit and about a half chimney of unlit each time. (22.5 WSM with water)

I took the ribs and smaller tenderloin off at the 6 hour mark. After letting them rest a bit, I tore into both. They both are very tasty (though the smaller tenderloin and part of the rack was a bit dry)... The real test will be the pork butt. I am shooting for a 10-12 hour cook on that.... I have no thermometer/probe yet, so I am sort of winging it for my first run-through. My Maverick 732 will be here on Tuesday. Couldn't wait that long to try my WSM! :)

Update: At my 2 hour check at just before midnight - happy to say that the temperatures were still rocking at around 230-240 (or so). Whatever I did this last time seemed to have worked better. (Essentially added a higher number of briquets)

Last edited:
Those temps are opposite than I would expect. I always thought dome temp would read higher than grate temp. My 22.5" did the same thing though. Dome temp lower than grate. What gives?

Good thing to know. Next cook I will have my Maverick to help me along. I will try to do some comparisons.

I dont even look at the dome thermometer its not accurate, at times off 20 deg, it's a new one so temps will run a little crazy till you get a few cooks under your belt, but never fear that bad boy or girl will settle right in at 250 or so, BTW you might need a wind break of some kind in the winter. smoking in the cold dont seem to be a problem even -10 but add a little wind and it will suck the life out of it. A lot of times temp depends on how you light it, minion, fuse ect,

Dome temp lower than grate. What gives?

Man with 2 clocks never knows what time it is. :cool: I think some of that principal applies here. I don't know the answer, other than stating the obvious - calibrated differently or wrong. I'm sure 2 different locations in the smoker could result in different temp readings. Just pick one, learn it and how to cook with it, and carry on.

OK... So here is the recap thus far:

I'm not trying to be a pain-in-the-***, but I'm going to breakdown your post and add my $.02

Started at 4PM U.S. EST. I have essentially had to replenish the WSM with hot coals/mixed with unlit coals every 2 hours. After the initial cool down, the temp stays at a steady 225 for about 90-100 minutes. At the 2 hour mark, the temps have consistently fallen to 200 degrees F. I go through the process of lighting additional briquets in my chimney and then adding them to the WSM. The temp again stabilizes to right around 225. (After a few minutes)

I gather you're using regular ol Kingsford which is commonly known as KBB (kingsford blue bag.) How did you get the WSM going? As in, how much unlit and lit did you add to the ring in the very beginning? Are you solely judging your temps via the dome thermometer?

The amount of Kingsford I am using seems a bit excessive. I have already used one of the bigger bags and started into another. It is a bit breezy and the temps are hovering right above freezing, with a few flurries. I am thinking that the breeze has something to do with it. I have closed the vents to about 25% or so at this point.

When you say bogger bags, do you mean a 20 pound bag which is part of the twin pack sold at HD/Lowes? If so, that's A LOT. Yes, wind will cause more havoc on these smokers than anything else. But not enough to burn through THAT much charcoal. I didn't even use that much charcoal when I had 65 pounds of pork butts on my 22 WSM which ran for 14-16 hours. Clearly, there's something else going on here.

Having to add charcoal every two hours - is this about normal? I am using a full chimney of lit and about a half chimney of unlit each time. (22.5 WSM with water)

No, 100% not normal. If you start with a full ring of charcoal, adding coals at the 10-12 hour mark would be normal. Could vary some given the colder temps, wind, desired pit temps, amount of meat, and water in the pan. But nothing even close to every 2 hours. A full chimney of lit and a half chimney of unlit? Seriously - that's what I use when cooking a turkey at 350-400 degrees. Which brings me back to the question of what your pit temps actually are. (not what the thermo reads)

I took the ribs and smaller tenderloin off at the 6 hour mark. After letting them rest a bit, I tore into both. They both are very tasty (though the smaller tenderloin and part of the rack was a bit dry)... The real test will be the pork butt. I am shooting for a 10-12 hour cook on that.... I have no thermometer/probe yet, so I am sort of winging it for my first run-through. My Maverick 732 will be here on Tuesday. Couldn't wait that long to try my WSM! :)

It's good to know how to cook without the aid of the Maverick, but I also believe cooking with one makes a guy a better cook. So, I'm glad you jumped in feet first to the deep end of the pool. :D If things seemed a bit overcooked/dry to you, I'm betting it's because of the pit temps. Seriously, there is no way you can burn through that much charcoal trying to maintain 225 degrees. As for the pork butt --- do you have a skewer, ice pick, something similar? If not, a regular ol' fork will also work. When the skewer goes into the butt without resistance, it's done. If you need to 'push' it through, it ain't done. Same with the fork test - stick the fork in to the bottom of the tines and twist. Should be done with nest to zero resistance. Plus, now you have a sample to taste. lol

Update: At my 2 hour check at just before midnight - happy to say that the temperatures were still rocking at around 230-240 (or so). Whatever I did this last time seemed to have worked better. (Essentially added a higher number of briquets)

What's your overall stats now? How long as the cook been going on? How much charcoal burned? Any other info so we can assist for cook #2 would be great.

Back