22.5 WSM & Grill Lid Interchangeability ?

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
Regardless of dome/lid shape, would a 22.5 grill lid fit on a WSM ? Considering buying a used WSM with a rusted lid, replacing with a grill lid I have.

I think that should fit, might be a touch lower, not sure. Can you take your lid over and check the fit? That would be the simplest thing to do.

Yes they will because they are the same footprint. ( diameter)
I've mixed and matched my 22.5 OTG lid with my 22.5" WSM lid before. Useful for headspace when doing a turkey on a OTG or kettle/performer.
Same with the 18.5" WSM. I did the same with my SJP or jumbo joe, same footprint.

The only thing is that the WSM lid fits inside the rim of the middle cooking section, while the kettle lid will overlap the middle cooking section. The result is that some condensation may drip out of the lid and down the outside of the cooker.

The only thing is that the WSM lid fits inside the rim of the middle cooking section, while the kettle lid will overlap the middle cooking section. The result is that some condensation may drip out of the lid and down the outside of the cooker.
Excellent point there Boss! I had not thought about that!

Ok, I bought it ! It has a large silver disc with a small hole in the center clipped onto the legs. Similar to an ash catcher for the old kettles, but with the hole.

What is that ?

surface rust in the channel around the lid lip. I'll use it anyway. I've had an uncovered 18.5 for probably 20 years and it doesn't have any rust. The door is POS but the rest of my old one is in fine shape.

The 22.5 is a beast. Suggestions for my first cook with it ? Big quantity, obviously.

Back