22.5" stock lid thermometer stays at 125 degrees

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
Pretty sure it just needs to be replaced, but is there anything I can do with a stock Weber thermometer off a 22" WSM to reset it or anything?
The smoker is sitting in my garage, hasn't been used in days, and thermometer is at 125 degrees...it's probably 80 degrees in my garage right now.
Sounds like these thermometers are not that great to begin with. I tried the boiling water test and it only got up to about 170. Pretty sure this one is toast.

Last edited:
No way to calibrate the stock therm, so it's toast. They're pretty cheap so order away........... :)

No way to calibrate the stock therm, so it's toast. They're pretty cheap so order away........... :)
That's what I thought. I just got this grill, it's only 4 years old and appears the former owner barely used it. When I bought it, he said it was missing the water pan and he never got around to buying it, and he wasn't ever able to use the WSM as a smoker. He said he just used it as a grill :LOL:
After I got the grill home I took it all apart and found that he was using the water pan to catch ashes at the very bottom of the WSM below the charcoal grate!

Weber most certainly outsourced the build of the thermometers to China or some cost-cutting country. I'm throwing this broken thermometer into the freezer for a few days and see if that does anything! I also just ordered a replacement one too.

My 10 year old WSM thermometer was running 110 degrees below what the Smoke grate probe was showing on Memorial Day. It was so far off I thought something was wrong with the Smoke. The Smoke was spot on in several different tests.
I bought a new thermometer at eReplacementParts for a second WSM I’m assembling for $11.50.
Funny thing is, I cooked 3 six pound butts at 345’ and they were all good.

Mine was running 110 degrees below what the Smoke grate probe was showing on Memorial Day. It was so far off I thought something was wrong with the Smoke. The Smoke was spot on in several different tests.
I bought a new thermometer at eReplacementParts for a second WSM I’m assembling for $11.50.
Funny thing is, I cooked 3 six pound butts at 345’ and they were all good.
I ended up ordering an off brand from Amazon. eReplacements said shipping was 12-18 days and I'm not that patient!

Weber most certainly outsourced the build of the thermometers to China or some cost-cutting country.
Yeah, no grill manufacturer is going to make their own thermometers. They're not in the thermometer business. They choose inexpensive third-party therms and have their logo imprinted on them.

Mine has died and did the same thing yours did. They are relatively inexpensive though. Maybe 15 bucks? It's pretty easy to swap out. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any good alternatives other than maybe a 2 inch River Country (which is bigger than 2 inches at maybe 2.25 inches) but that will require you to drill out the hole in bezel and the lid. The tel-tru 2 inch would work but it will look kind of silly as it's way too small and they are 30 bucks. I just replace the stock one with another stock one. I've had my WSM maybe 6 years and I've done it once. The funny part is I obsess over it and use a digital thermometer anyway.

Mine is always the same temperature too, plus it's half full of water,,,,:)

I just go by my DOT from thermoworks, I know THAT works. LOL

Right. When you see "DOZYANT" that means quality! ;) It'll probably work great, though. That size is perfect.
Probably made in the same factory that makes the cheap quality ones branded with the Weber logo!
I'm just happy the actual thermometer doesn't say Dozyant on it anywhere. Easy install. I didn't have to resize anything. This cheapo is actually about twice the weight of the stock Weber one....not sure if that is good or bad.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0013FBUM8/tvwb-20

This one looks like a pretty good idea. If you look at the customer pictures there's a guy that gives pretty detailed instructions on how to drill out the holes, etc on the last generation Weber Genesis which I believe had the same bezel as the WSM 22.5. The River Country is slightly smaller in diameter than the Dozyant and has a smaller range more for smoking than grilling. It's also adjustable. If my current stock one goes out again I may go this route. They make one with a more plain dial and they make a a glow in the dark model.

I'm just adding this just in case some one looks through this thread down the road. River Country is kind of considered as the next best thing to a Tel-Tru. The advantage to the one you bought is that you don't have to do any modification.

Back