22.5 Kettle conversion to WSM?

Walt

TVWBB Fan
Someone is selling a riser with grate and thermometer to convert a kettle into a tall WSM. Has anyone done this before? Pros and Cons?

I think this is awesome:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/4971251840.html

Here's my attempt of posting a pic of it:
00R0R_g4oe8PsZOw4_600x450.jpg

Looks like a cut-down UDS sitting on a kettle. Similar concept to the Cajun Bandit and Smoke EZ. Here's my Smoke EZ.
6983704328_40291e8d42_z_d.jpg

I use it more than I use my WSM. The one pictured in the ad should work fine, but it looks very tall and top heavy. I would be concerned about knocking it over.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I want to do with my rescued OTS. It looks like a cutoff segment of a drum was retrofitted to make the smoker body. I wish I knew where to get one of those the right diameter...

Regards,

John

I contacted the Seller and he said there isn't a problem with looking down into the new Smoker, I didn't ask about stability.

I would love to do this for my Jumbo Joe. The JJ has short legs so stability wouldn't be an issue and seeing down into it would be easier than off a regular kettle. John Sp is right, finding a drum the correct size is the hardest of a DIY project.

Yeah, on a regular kettle, it does appear that it could be top-heavy and unstable, but on a Performer, I don't think that would be an issue. Also, this would solve what I see as the only flaw of the WSM: ash removal. During a long cook, it's not that hard to shovel in more charcoal, but the ash can build up to the point that it hinders the new stuff from lighting. A WSM with the "one touch" sweeper bars and vents at the bottom would provide at least an easier means of ejecting the ashes during a cook.

Back