2018-ish Genesis II E-210 NG will not get hot

Terry Hlavaty

TVWBB Member
OK, so I've been gone for a couple of years, but this grill still confounds me. No matter what, it takes forever to reach 350-375, has never seen 500+ like so many say it is capable of.

Burners are clean, spider screens are clean. Fed off a dedicated 1/2" line tapped off the 1" main. I love the size of a 2-burner, most times It's just a couple of burgers or brats, so no need for a larger 3+ burner unit.

While I've read that NG is not as "hot" as LP, last week I used a family members' Spirit II E-210 on NG, and realized it was over 500F in a hurry.

Not looking forward to grilling over the winter again here in the Chicago area, with a grill that struggles to build heat. I'd like to think that I'm a fairly competent DIY'er, so any direction would be appreciated.

HRG

One question. Is the grill designed to run on LP but hooked up to NG instead (without being properly converted)?

Oh wait, another point. I would think a 3 year old grill is still under warranty and a call to Weber C/S might be a good idea.

One question. Is the grill designed to run on LP but hooked up to NG instead (without being properly converted)?

Oh wait, another point. I would think a 3 year old grill is still under warranty and a call to Weber C/S might be a good idea.
Not a convert, original bought-new NG model.

HRG

Not yet, I'm not sure how I'd get my hands on a manometer or the correct gauge. Something to look at though, thanks.
Maybe call your gas company? They came and tested my neighbors after a new water heater was installed and was flaming out.

It was a bad water heater but they ruled out gas pressure and I think flow rate.

Just because it's a new grill does not mean it's a "correct" grill or correctly built grill. What you're describing sounds like classic (I saw on YouTube how to change a hose on the grill). Not saying you did. Just that your grill is doing precisely what an LP model would do on NG

I had the same problem with my Summit NG that is 10 years old. It would only get to 275-300 degrees and as I lit each burner the burners that were already on would go down like they were dialed back. I replaced the burner tubes, but that didn't help. Then I replaced the regulator and that did nothing. I was about to replace the manifold and then I figured the only other thing it could be is the quick connect. Since the quick connect was much cheaper than a manifold I bought a new one and that did the trick. Now the grill gets over 600 easily in about 15 minutes.

Maybe call your gas company? They came and tested my neighbors after a new water heater was installed and was flaming out.

It was a bad water heater but they ruled out gas pressure and I think flow rate.
Gas company (Nicor) refuses to come out and check pressure at the stub, so screw them, I've ordered a 0-10" WC gauge and I'll check it myself, including at the point where the hose attaches at the grill.

HRG

Just because it's a new grill does not mean it's a "correct" grill or correctly built grill. What you're describing sounds like classic (I saw on YouTube how to change a hose on the grill). Not saying you did. Just that your grill is doing precisely what an LP model would do on NG
In round numbers, what "should" the orifice size be for NG on this model? I don't have a pin gage set, but I've got a lot of drill bits and a micrometer,,,

HRG

specs indicate 26,500 BTU two burner.

halfway down this page is another chart. Same idea as the one above just formatted a little differently.

Gas company (Nicor) refuses to come out and check pressure at the stub, so screw them, I've ordered a 0-10" WC gauge and I'll check it myself, including at the point where the hose attaches at the grill.

HRG

I think measuring WC is your best next step.

If you find it is low and are thinking of drilling out the orifices, might I suggest keeping the originals, ordering a new pair and drilling those out, and keeping the old ones in case you move.

They cost about $6 per orifice, and you might be able to order the diameter you need for the pressure you have.

good luck and let us know what your WC is.

I'm going to make a guess yours is 3.5" ( and it really is just a guess looking at the charts )

I am having NG hooked up to my home soon and was seriously contemplating having a line piped to my deck for a grill and/or Weber Flame fire place. I am beginning to wonder if that would be opening myself up to problems like I keep seeing with NG connections.

I am having NG hooked up to my home soon and was seriously contemplating having a line piped to my deck for a grill and/or Weber Flame fire place. I am beginning to wonder if that would be opening myself up to problems like I keep seeing with NG connections.

I would not get nervous yet, let me troubleshoot what might be going on with my unit, and I'll report back. Honestly, I like the NG aspect so much that I would live with my current situation, even if it couldn't be improved. But, I'm confident that there's a piece to this puzzle that I have not found yet, but I will! Next week I'll know the line pressure, before then I'll determine what the jet orifice's really are.

HRG

Most "problems" you see (not necessarily speaking about this one) are self induced by the users. Don't worry about doing it. You will see it will be the best move you can make

Yah, if I have it installed, I would assume they verify correct pressure and flow and all the technical stuff before they leave.

A partial update;

jets measure right at .058" diameter, so in the ballpark for 7" WC nat gas. New jets on order for possible tweak.

Utility regulator just before meter indicates 7" WC

While jets were removed, opened valves, no debris blew out.

Fully blue flames, about 1-1/4" tall. No change in flame height whether 1 or both valves open, so I do not think there is an in-coming problem with volume. Tried adjusting air shutters, factory setting provided best blue flame. WC pressure to be measured next week after gauge arrives.

TJH

Back