2005 Genesis Platinum Restoration

BrandonHudson

TVWBB Fan
Hi. Long time lurker. I live in Charleston, SC and salvage Webers as a hobby. I've done about 12 grills so far, but have been chasing the Solid Stainless Frame Holy Grail for a long time after giving my Genesis 1000 to a friend as a housewarming gift.

Recently an 05 Genesis Plat popped up on FB Marketplace for $125 and I didn't hesitate. That stainless steel frame is truly a thing of beauty.
IMG_20170529_183721.jpgIMG_20170529_192418.jpgIMG_20170529_192531.jpgIMG_20170529_192409.jpg
Overall in good shape. The original owner had "converted" it to NG, but didn't drill out the orifices, so it ran like garbage. It also had the typical rust from sitting on a concrete patio and needed a makeover.

I did a full breakdown. Scrubbed everything down and degreased. Sanded all the bare metal and laid down some coats of rust encapsulation primer before covering with the best match I could find to that Weber Gray. Damn hard to match that just right, but I'm not in it for the color match, just the rust protection.

The lid nuts were long gone. Replaced everything with stainless hardware and used some zip nuts to get the lid back on nice and tight. The lid liner was roached, so I ended up tearing it out after a few cooks with some undesirable additions from above.

IMG_20170529_192428.jpg

Inside I replaced everything. New sparker still only works about 50% of the time, no clue why. Adjusted my burner tubes and completed the NG conversion, and I THOUGHT I was done. Fired it up and took some pics of my meat to show the wife. After she rolled her eyes and said "it always looks bigger in pictures," she noticed something wasn't right up front.
IMG_20190128_192006.jpg

I'd never seen a warped firebox before. I guess the guy must have left it on overnight or something? Yikes... A call to Weber and a new firebox was on the way. In the meantime I threw on some RCplanebuyer stainless grates and thick flavorizer bars I got for my first Father's Day gift.

IMG_20191227_182816.jpgIMG_20200322_194752.jpg

When the box from Weber showed up, they included all kinds of extra goodies in the box too, so ended up doing another top end breakdown and reassemble to get it back to like-new condition. Literally the first time I've ever seen an unused firebox. I openly wept and finally called this one done. I decided to just leave the paint flake on the lid alone. It is only cosmetic and I don't want to risk messing up the color match.
IMG_20200629_165314.jpgPXL_20200930_173626363.jpg

It isn't often you find one one of those with the bottom panel in the cabinet still salvageable. Very nice.

Nice Grill! I recently got one of these myself. These things look pretty good all cleaned up with all the stainless on them!

If you're up for a few more coats of paint, Rustoleum Massey Ferguson Grey is an almost exact match for the frame panels. I bought mine from a Tractor Supply Store at about $10 per can.

It's also totally awesome that weber sent you a new cook box!

Nice Grill! I recently got one of these myself. These things look pretty good all cleaned up with all the stainless on them!

If you're up for a few more coats of paint, Rustoleum Massey Ferguson Grey is an almost exact match for the frame panels. I bought mine from a Tractor Supply Store at about $10 per can.

It's also totally awesome that weber sent you a new cook box!

Thanks! The bottom plate is the only thing I ended up painting, so I might do a quick and dirty coat next spring. to bring it around.

Do you know if they make a heat rated version I could use on the lid?

I've been finding a lot more "new" Webers lately, which are almost all gray and open cart, so this is super helpful.

Thanks! The bottom plate is the only thing I ended up painting, so I might do a quick and dirty coat next spring. to bring it around.

Do you know if they make a heat rated version I could use on the lid?

I've been finding a lot more "new" Webers lately, which are almost all gray and open cart, so this is super helpful.

For the high heat paint i'm not sure, I don't think anyone has found an exact match. I think one of the Stovebrite or VHT paints might be a match? I'll have to dig up one of the threads on here about it. My cook box and lid end caps have some slight oxidation, mine was actually New, never cooked on, but had been stored outside partially uncovered or uncovered for a long time

Nice score, especially with the help from Weber. You know, this is at least the third of these Platinums we have seen here with a warped firebox. I have to wonder if there isn't more than coincidence to this. Maybe the orifices were opened up a little like on earlier Platinums to land a slightly higher btu rating?

Anyway, very happy for you that you got a Platinum(y). Mine was one of the few things I didn't bring back from Florida with me. I decided to sell it inexpensively to a co-worker there who had already lost his house from the horrible flooding in our area. I figured he needed a stainless frame in Florida a lot more than I did now that I am in Indiana. I was glad to do something for him. In return he gave me the rusted hulk of an early 3 burner Spirit (side controls/classic Genesis Silver style firebox) that he had and needed to get rid of. I was able to get some good parts to take with me from that. It all works out!

Would this be a good deal for $175 on a Platinum?

Attachments

• platimun.jpg
    platimun.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 12
  • platinum 2.jpg
    platinum 2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 13
That grill looks in prime condition for what you would expect.
Here is an identical grill I picked up a year ago.

20190920_102527.jpg

That looks better than the One I picked up "New" it had never been cooked on but was stored outside, the lid ends are oxidized and so is the box, and it had more rust!. I paid $200 and drove 3 hours round trip. If the inside is in good shape its probably worth that, might try $140 or something.

Be wary of the inside of the lid, they can be corroded and rusted out, it's a heat shield so the stainless doesn't discolor it doesn't have the same interior coating as the other webers.

that said I'd probably fold and buy at $175 if I didn't have mine.

Last edited:
That looks better than the One I picked up "New" it had never been cooked on but was stored outside, the lid ends are oxidized and so is the box, and it had more rust!. I paid $200 and drop 3 hours round trip. If the inside is in good shape its probably worth that, might try $140 or something.

Be wary of the inside of the lid, they can be corroded and rusted out, it's a heat shield so the stainless doesn't discolor it doesn't have the same interior coating as the other webers.

that said I'd probably fold and buy at $175 if I didn't have mine.
It would probably be about a 3 hour RT for me also. I am not sure what a keeper is for me. I have been through a lot of grills. I have a Genesis II E210 now and find it takes a little too long to heat up and I am not happy that the rotisserie is set up so low. I do like that it does not take up much room and that it is only a few years old and it only cost me $150. The open cart is not my favorite as my dog likes to get under the cover for the drip pan, but the closed carts tend to rust out. Decisions, decisions....

Back