2002 Genesis Silver "C" Restoration Started

I don't recognize those extra parts you show. But, I am with JKim, I want to know why you have two rows of flavorizer bars in a Silver B. And also, the igniter buttons have me wondering what is going on there. But, all in all, great job. Enjoy that beauty.

They almost have to be the Genesis 1000 bars which are not as deep as Silver B bars, but even then, I am sure the top row must be awful close to the bottom of the grates.

Igniter buttons - I opted to remove the igniters for both the main and side burners and not replace them. I have a handheld arc lighter that I prefer to use. Without the igniter underneath, the buttons droop down. It doesn't really bother me, but with that said, I may or may not in the future decide to remove them and possibly make caps for the holes.

13 flavorizer Bars on a Silver B - I had an inclination that I would prefer 13 bars as opposed to just the five. I have no experience or detailed scientific backing for this hunch, but rcplanebuyer sold the 8 smaller bars to me for a good price and combined shipping with the other ones when I asked him about it, so I went for it. They do not slot into the firebox like the five bottom ones do - they just lay on top of the first set, but they do fit with about an inch of space between the top of the bars and the bottom of the grate. Honestly it may or may not turn out to have been a worthwhile purchase, but my hypothesis is threefold:

1) More bars = more thermal mass, which theoretically would keep the temperature more consistent when opening and closing the lid, and potentially allow for higher maximum temperatures?
2) More thermal mass closer to the underside of the food = possibly more radiant heat and more evenly distributed radiant heat to cook the food. i.e. more of a "grill" effect and less of an "oven" effect. Maybe better?
3) More surface area to catch and vaporize drippings before building up in the bottom catch pan = potentially lower chance of flare-ups and more vaporized flavor compounds circulating back onto the food?

If anyone here thinks it is straight-up dangerous to do the 13 bars in the shallower cook box for some reason, I'll reconsider. If not, I'll experiment with 13 vs 5 bars over time and see which actually works better for me in the long run.

The B/C stock flavo bars are so tall I still cannot figure this out. As for using the older style bars they will not work (especially the longer ones) as they are WAY different length (unless RC made these things custom for you) I cannot fathom how this worked

Dangerous? No, I don't think so as long as you can keep the top row in place and separated, but I would think that just moving the grill a little bit will have them shifting all over the place since there are no slots for them to be held into.

Your theories listed above are pretty much the reasons that some prefer the older Genesis 1000 grills which were designed with the two rows of flavorizer bars. But, with the shallower cook box on a Silver B, you might not find that there will be less even cooking temps (distributed radiant heat) at grate level.

The 5 east-west bars are 22.5" long and about 2 and 1/4" tall.

The 8 north-south bars are 15 and 7/8th" long and 1 and 1/2" tall. Rcplanebuyer sells these in a standard set (#7538). They are normally listed combined with another set, but he sold me just the eight bars from the 7538 set by themselves.

Stacked together, the top of the 8 smaller bars is exactly 1" from the bottom of the thick stainless steel rod grates.

The 8 bars do not slot into the firebox as Bruce mentions, and they do slide around a little bit, but only if I radically tip or jostle the grill. They are heavy enough not to really move if I move the grill carefully. This could be a downside for some people. I don't plan on moving my grill around very much though.

So, I am guessing we have the Silver B bars on the bottom and then the top row of a set of Genesis 1000 bars on top of them.

Chris, let us know how they work out for you after you have had several chances to cook on them and evaluate the performance.

Having owned a Silver B I cannot imagine how you could fit another set of bars on top of the standard 5. There is only about 2" under the grates.

Ha, apparently not organized enough! I found the spring and rubber washer in this photo while I was moving some of the components around to start painting but I can't remember where they came from. I am not sure if they belong with the manifold or somewhere else. Does anyone know where these two parts go? Maybe part of the side-burner assembly?

UwWOViU.jpg

Still more organized than I. Keep up the good work!

Sorry Chris, but I had to prove this for myself. Genesis 3000 north south bar on top of the east west bars in my Silver C. Go figure!

MC11pjC.jpg

Here is a picture of mine. It's a little hard to measure because of how you have to angle your head/camera to see it lined up accurately, but as best I can tell there is 7/8ths of an inch gap:

BbhMcl2.jpg

I picked up a silver c myself this weekend... Owners were throwing out...I believe it's in excellent condition... Will be following your updates..I only pressure washed mine so far and it looks great... Also came with full tank of propane..

John,
Welcome to TVWBB!

Sounds like you got a good candidate at a price that can’t be beat!

I suggest you look through some posts others have made about a Genesis restorations and look at the sticky about sources for various parts you might conclude you need. Take it slow and avoid the temptation to just order tins if new parts turning your freebie grill into span expensive project. Instead, I suggest you put your money on key parts such as grates and flavorizer bars and get the best you can afford on those.

It can be a rewarding and fun hobby to see something old and neglected become better than what you can buy new. Enjoy!

Regarding propane tanks, I need to start "giving" them away with each grill I sell. I have more than a dozen of them laying around now. I usually offer an empty one for $10 or a full one for $25 with each grill that I sell, but I don't get many takers. Yet, I score them with at least half the grills I pick up for rehabbing.

Regarding propane tanks, I need to start "giving" them away with each grill I sell. I have more than a dozen of them laying around now. I usually offer an empty one for $10 or a full one for $25 with each grill that I sell, but I don't get many takers. Yet, I score them with at least half the grills I pick up for rehabbing.

I recently got a free grill that was supposed to cone with two tanks. I deliberately left those behind since I have no use for them with NG.

Back