2002 Genesis Silver "C" Restoration Started

I don't know Jon, I probably have close to 20 now. I am going to start giving them (empty) away FREE with my rehabs.

I would think you can offer them for FREE on CL or FB and get rid of them. I see people selling them for $10 to $15 all the time around here.

2) Disassembly started -

17 years worth of crud in the bottom catch pan:

jpLbfUs.jpg

Removing flavorizer bars, burner tubes, cooking grate, and swinging warming basket. Planning on replacing these:

VRkWH3k.jpg

Taking the frame apart:

AElgNOx.jpg

The all-important bolt hole connecting the firebox to the frame where corrosion usually starts actually looks pretty good:

wN2ggyL.jpg

Firebox needs some cleaning but is otherwise in great condition. I know people say to leave the two burner tube aligning bolts alone, but I was able to extract them without too much difficulty. Hopefully will replace with stainless hardware if I can source it:

2QV0obx.jpg

QLUvT7N.jpg

Outside of lid has a little surface rust, but nothing serious and no chipped porcelain:

VZLTKwD.jpg

Aluminum lid side-pieces are very black on the inside, but otherwise good. Remainder of components have been disassembled:

JTyRq1f.jpg

Hardware:

Z1qYJ0m.jpg

Original sticker still legible:

YKVPeyY.jpg
What’s your model number? I just bought the exact same grill and it has a Gold C cart. I’m the third owner. Thanks!

I picked up a silver c myself this weekend... Owners were throwing out...I believe it's in excellent condition... Will be following your updates..I only pressure washed mine so far and it looks great... Also came with full tank of propane..
You did better than me. I paid WAY too much for one that I picked up yesterday but I’m not flipping it and it was super clean. It came with a tattered cover which was a good sign that it had been used. Very little rust, worked well and it will make the restoration easier. I plan to own it forever, I’ll forget about the reward money I paid for a well cared for grill as soon as I’m done.

And this forum stopped me from dropping $950 on an SE-335. So it’s money saved in my book. I love making something that was made nearly 20 years ago look new with elbow grease and using it for another 20. Very happy I found you all.

This all started because my $370 Charbroil is flat out garbage. Never again.

The only three pieces I had leftover that I have no idea what they came from are a rubber button-type thing, a spring with what looks to be some type of brass piece near the top, and a thick rubber washer.

P1u7vId.jpg

The spring-thing seems like it would be part of a manifold valve, but as I was unsuccessful in taking any of them apart I don't think that is the case. Everything appears to be working perfectly normal as far as the propane connections go, so I really have no idea what it could have come from. Anyone have any ideas?

I am also restoring a 2001 Silver C LP and have the same spring with gasket and I have no idea where it belongs. I noticed it during the time I was working on the manifold. It is not part of the three valves. Could it be part of the quick connect that goes to the side burner? Anyone with a Silver C who has worked on their manifold recognize this spring piece?IMG_1147.JPGIMG_1147.JPGIMG_1149.JPG

Size reference would be really helpful. Maybe a coin or other common object next to it in the picture would help. That thing could be an inch long or it could be 1/8" long.

Yah, definitely not a burner valve. I am not familiar enough with the quick connects to know if it could be that, but it does look like some kind of valve guts. I have a couple grills with the quick connect side burner. I will see if I can see inside one to tell if that looks the same.

Yah, definitely not a burner valve. I am not familiar enough with the quick connects to know if it could be that, but it does look like some kind of valve guts. I have a couple grills with the quick connect side burner. I will see if I can see inside one to tell if that looks the same.
I just got the chance to look at the quick connect on one of my manifolds. It does look very possible that those are the guts from the quick connect on the manifold end

any chance you could send some pictures of what you are describing so that I can reassemble it properly?

Rick, I would really have to take it apart unless you just want a picture of the quick connect still on the manifold. I might have one in my parts, but I don't want to disassemble it to take pictures.

I am also restoring a 2001 Silver C LP and have the same spring with gasket and I have no idea where it belongs. I noticed it during the time I was working on the manifold. It is not part of the three valves. Could it be part of the quick connect that goes to the side burner? Anyone with a Silver C who has worked on their manifold recognize this spring piece?View attachment 8036View attachment 8036View attachment 8037
Reminds me of the ole FlameCheck valve weber had. Was terrible design and often bypassed. Did your model have such an option?

Back