2001 Weber Summit 450

I will be honest in that I am not all that familiar with all the different variations on the Summit grills over the years. This one is near me and I am considering taking a look at it tomorrow afternoon. Sounds like there will be big issues with the crossover tubes. Looking through the past posts, it seems Weber does not support these with parts anymore.

I am looking for thoughts and opinions on this before I go and look at it. If nothing else, I am looking at this as a way to continue to educate myself.

Attachments

• IMG_8520.jpg
    IMG_8520.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 33
As wonderful as those grills are as a former owner of one, I have to say you need mad skills to keep one going at this age. With the front of the fire box issue what looks like little "rat bites" of rust around the burner area will turn into full blown flame throwers in a heartbeat. Jon now has my old one. I could not bare to simply scrap it. Watch for his results as he tries to make or have made a new front panel for the fire box. Burners themselves last forever, it's the Xover tubes that go on them more. Flavo bars, and ignitors are easy to get

Do you have a standalone picture of that panel that fails? I'm curious as to how hard it really would be for one to fab up.

As wonderful as those grills are as a former owner of one, I have to say you need mad skills to keep one going at this age. With the front of the fire box issue what looks like little "rat bites" of rust around the burner area will turn into full blown flame throwers in a heartbeat. Jon now has my old one. I could not bare to simply scrap it. Watch for his results as he tries to make or have made a new front panel for the fire box. Burners themselves last forever, it's the Xover tubes that go on them more. Flavo bars, and ignitors are easy to get
Thanks for your input Larry. I know this might be crazy to look at but I am at least going to look at it this afternoon. A good friend has a metal shop and we might be able to make a new panel. Just not sure how many steaks and beers it will take to have him help with any metal fabricating repairs.

I posted one a while back. Maybe a search can bring it up? I am sure I deleted them
1619026476737.png
Found this from another thread, not every angle but didn't look long, but my thoughts are that if it's just a few bends in a brake, it really can't be that big of a job. never seen one of these old summits in person, but every post about them here has me jonesing for one now.

Chris,
The 1st generation are VERY cool in my view. I was looking through old posts, too, and found one from 3 years ago where I was telling Larry how I wished we were closer so I could buy his Summit. I was in Florida then, but having moved to Indiana we made that happen last fall. I think the picture you have is probably from a 3rd generation Summit (actually maybe one I posted) but the idea is still the same. I know very little about sheet metal work. Making a perfect replica in high-grade stainless is obviously the ultimate fix - but also likely to be expensive given all those special openings, bends, etc. I am currently thinking more along the lines of a flat piece of stainless that has the burner openings cut and then some holes for small bolts. Use 2 of these pieces to "sandwich" the porcelain original part using bolts and hopefully buy yourself many years of safe use. I hope to explore this as soon as my stupid extended tax season finally gives out. But, if you have time to look into options yourself, please do! The more input we get the better.

My affection for the 1st generation Summit drops off with the 2nd generation with the exception of the late "Platinum" version that featured all stainless frame and cabinetry. Same firebox issue, though. As to the 3rd, current generation Summit I personally feel they are too heavy, too complicated, and too prone to rust. Not just the firebox but also the cabinetry. Not acceptable to me in a +$2,000 grill. That isn't to say that one in working condition wouldn't be an excellent cooker. Just that you will have to do a lot of maintenance. And, for me, it is just too big and heavy to really enjoy.

Yes, I think that was from your post. Something just happened when I saw those 2 old school gen 1 6-burner summits show up for sale in NJ a few weekends ago. They're just that cool looking that I kind of want to take on the challenge of bringing one back and bulletproofing it. Once I finish my 3000 fixer upper, I can think of getting involved there.

For now, I guess I'll start small in the custom part world with the old genesis grease trays are aren't made anymore.

I just went to check out the 2001 Summit 450 and it looks pretty clean in regards to rust compared to some of the pics posted here. I am attaching a few that I took very quickly. He also has the owners manual, new ignitor parts and burners that he had as spares plus he is throwing in a number of propane tanks.

Here are the pics so any and all comments are appreciated. Hoping and thinking, I might have found one that has a number of good years left in it (if protected from the elements).

Attachments

• IMG_8521.jpg
    IMG_8521.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8522.jpg
    IMG_8522.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8523.jpg
    IMG_8523.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8524.jpg
    IMG_8524.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 21
Yah, then heck. It looks it has the start of corrosion on the plate around the burner tubes, but still not terrible. Just know that eventually that plate will get to the point it is no longer safe to run the grill and it might happen without you noticing.

Yah, then heck. It looks it has the start of corrosion on the plate around the burner tubes, but still not terrible. Just know that eventually that plate will get to the point it is no longer safe to run the grill and it might happen without you noticing.
Thanks Bruce. I will get it home and clean it up to see how the old rust worm is starting but it should have plenty of cooks into this season. Actually, a nice looking grill so I am looking forward to cooking on it. Nice thing is that it is only 2 miles from my house.

Just don't invest a lot of money into it before you know what you are getting into. They tend to be money pits.

The sheet metal alone is worth getting it for. When the grill dies place a nice piece of Stainless where the firebox was and you have a nice grill cart.

It needs at least Xover tubes, the little rat bitten areas above where the burners come through are not bad now but if the grill is actually used to any extent they will go to full on flame throwing in one grilling season from the point they're at now. But if you know someone who can do sheet metal work hey you got it made in the shade

You could also part it out if you gave up. Virtually no parts are available for these cool old original Summits.

Yah, those crossover tubes are toast. But, even if you can't find them available for that grill, you could use ones for a genesis grill and cut them to size.

Back