2001 lid design vs newer ones

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi everyone
Haven’t been on the site for quite a while so I hope everyone is well. I have a question I might’ve asked this before but if you compare the old Weber Genesis lids from the early 2000s to the newer ones you know the more squarish versus the more roundish ones. It seems to me that the older lids that came straight up the front and then back would have better air circulation inside the oven because of the design. Any other advantages the old design may have?Just wondering what everyone else might think in any kind of input. Thanks again

Interesting observation. But, one thing I think the newer lid has over the older one is that the thermometer is in the middle of the lid and probably more accurate overall. My guess is that the overall airflow is a big benefit either way.
Just my thoughts though.

I think the discussion was restricted to just the lids. Not the cookbox or flavorizer bar setup.

I couldn't say if the change impacted air flow that much, but I am pretty sure it was aimed at giving the Genesis a more "modern" look. The newer hood LOOKS bigger, too. It was at this point, I think, that Weber's competition started coming from imports of ever bigger stainless junkers that made the Genesis look dated and small in many buyer's eyes.

I agree with Bruce that the center thermometer intuitively makes more sense. I don't know about anyone here, but I have never taken Weber up on their idea behind the original thermometer of pulling it out red hot and covered with soot to then use it to check my meat temperature :unsure: .

So what we need is the retro lid with a center thermometer. I do like the look of the vintage ones better, like an old '57 Chevy......This is the lid they sent me about 1 or so years ago...The thermometer went wacky so they wanted the serial number. I tried to explain that the serial number would not match the lid, because this lid replaced a discontinued one.....we went back and forth, long story short they are replacing this lid(also a small issue with the paint in the back) with a new Mica Black lid(I have no idea what it will look like as far as thermometer placement goes....All I wanted was a thermometer, but Weber really takes care of their customersIMG_2082.jpg

I am pretty sure the new lid will be identical to the one in the photo. I think that is all they have to replace the Genesis 3 burner grill lids with. Maybe not the black handle though.

Yes curious to what they will send but on the shipping form the part number was for the original lid. Here is what they wrote me. ....

. The only color in stock for the Genesis Silver B LP, in mica colors (2000-2001) is the color black.”

So what we need is the retro lid with a center thermometer. I do like the look of the vintage ones better, like an old '57 Chevy......This is the lid they sent me about 1 or so years ago...The thermometer went wacky so they wanted the serial number. I tried to explain that the serial number would not match the lid, because this lid replaced a discontinued one.....we went back and forth, long story short they are replacing this lid(also a small issue with the paint in the back) with a new Mica Black lid(I have no idea what it will look like as far as thermometer placement goes....All I wanted was a thermometer, but Weber really takes care of their customers

What kind of paint issues were you having with the lid? The paint completely came off of my sides of my 05 but I didn't think they would warranty that.

It look like some kind of fading or could’ve even been some heavy carbon buildup but it wasn’t around the front it was only in the back anyway I believe the lids are guaranteed for 25 years so it might be worth giving them a call and explaining your issue

So they sent me a new lid even though the part number was for the old style lid they sent the newer genesis/spirit lid. They only had Black. I like the black. I think it looks more distinguished 85008B1C-1A8E-47A3-9539-B55D688DDBDA.jpeg59ECEEDE-B430-4A40-A46B-F0BC573B9362.jpeg

Back