2000 Summit 450 Craigslist find

so no sanding on the fire box to the the grime and oxidation off? rust encapsulater and then just go over the top of that with high temp bbq paint? did i read taht you sprayed/soaked yours in brake cleaner to get the grime/grease off? i'm trying to go for the best attack to getting it clean and repainting to make it look awesome again.

Chris, i did think it was bit strange to have 2 themos so close to one another. but it's definitely a stock summit lid as it has the extra lip on the front of the lid that the genesis line does not have.

"did i read taht you sprayed/soaked yours in brake cleaner to get the grime/grease off? i'm trying to go for the best attack to getting it clean and repainting to make it look awesome again."

No. I clean out the insides of the burners with that and blow out with compressed air. I simply tried the rust encapsulator though there would be no reason you could not clean it first with the spray cleaner. Sadly noting worked to save my original but another member here had a decent one I was able to acquire though it too has early signs of the failure. Scraping will do more harm than good. I put some encapsulator on it. Seems to be a little at bay but I know it's only a matter of time

here's a couple of better pics of the internals

W3GKhowl.jpg

eM0ABCYl.jpg

Lou, just to be clear and know that everyone is on the same page; unlike the Genny of this generation, the Summits lower firebox is made of 4 pieces. The sides do the lower box are cast aluminum. The front and back of the lower box are made of stamped steel.

You can do whatever you want to the sides in cleaning, even to include using an angle grinder and wire brush. The front and back parts are where you need to be more delicate in what you do. Those are the parts that tend to rust/corrode.

In the last pic you posted, you can see the nuts along each side where they are joined to the front and back pieces.

By the way, there's a guy over at the WeberKettleclub who is parting out a 450, so he might have some parts that you could use.

I went to Fastenal and got stainless allen head screws and stainless nuts with washers for mine. MUCH better than the cheap stamped nuts Weber used

I went to Fastenal and got stainless allen head screws and stainless nuts with washers for mine. MUCH better than the cheap stamped nuts Weber used

The speed nuts avoid the need for a locking washer but I used allen head screws, stainless nuts, washer, and lock washers on my Genesis 1000 lid.

Has anyone found a source for the speed nuts inside these Summit grills? Mine are starting to rust through.

Is this them at bottom left called "flanged push nuts"?

Here's one that's still in good shape:

xTZrXLD.jpg

I bought a genuine weber bolt kit with new speed nuts, and they were a little too big and would slip over the bolt thread before they'd tighten. I ended up going stainless bolts and nuts with built in lock washers (which may be too aggressive and scratch the underside of the lid). If I were to do again, I would do bolt, spring washer and regular washer.

Back