2 shoulder smoke

Steve Forwe

TVWBB Fan
Kroger had a sale on some shoulders. Picked a couple. Came home from the store and the wife said she is going shopping with her mom. Cranked up the Onkeyo with some Skynard, Molly Hatchet and .38 Special. Started on some Miller Lites. The rub is on. Will put them on the WSM when I get home from work tomorrow. The one on the left is rubbed with some Texas BBQ Rub Original, the one on the right with some Mr. Brown. Life is good. Good tunes. Good drink, and good BBQ. Hope it all turns out good. Wish me luck.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stimpy111/2ButtSmoke

It's all good if you've got some Miller Lite and Southern Rock on. Keep the pictures coming and put some Kid Rock into that rotation!

Two things I always wanted to do before I died go back to Alaska and see Skynyrd did both but I'm not ready to die just yet I got "Q" to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
It's all good if you've got some Miller Lite and Southern Rock on. Keep the pictures coming and put some Kid Rock into that rotation! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will do. Got the smoker fueled, probes ready, and some skeet and hickory ready to go. Will fire it up as soon as I get home from work today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toby Keil:
Gassing up the car and I'm on my way
icon_biggrin.gif
Sounds like a great time! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and some skeet and hickory ready to go </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve, Unless you know that you like skeet on pork? I would take that out of there. I do not like skeet on pork at all. This is just my personal preference though.

The last one I did I used 1 chunck of skeet and the rest hickory. We really liked it. Doing 2 butts this time and still only putting on one chunck. BTW, why don't you like skeet with pork?

I find it to be just too harsh and it doesn't lend itself well to long cook times without creating these off flavors.

But then again, the off flavors from the lite beer might be a good counterpoint.

Life is too short to drink lite beer from a can.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the advice fellas. Meat on the smoker and temps on the rise. Had a friggen probe die right off the bat. Glad i ordered extra. What a pain. Will be calling Maverick. Any way. Temp taking a long time to come up but I have never had this much on at one time. Probably 20 pounds total. Pics updated. More to follow. Time for another beer. TBC.

Pork on it's way

Swapped back to the original meat probe and now it's reading the temp instaed of HHH. My concern is the smoker probe at the top grate is reading about 15 degrees higher than my lid temp probe. Not sure what's going on there. It's not towards the edge of the grate. Does it need to be in the middle of the top grate to register about 15 degrees lower than the lid therm?

Ok. Now the the Lid and the top grate temps are pretty much the same. I think I wasn't reading the lid (Trend) therm right. I'm sure it's the Miller Lite. All is good for now. Lid temp and maverick showing 255.

If the grate thermometer is too close to the meat it will read cooler and if closer to the edge it will read hotter. I've experienced that it does tend to even out if you do as recommended and just let it settle in (leave it alone).

I trust my lid therm over all others. It is my point of reference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Forwe:
The last one I did I used 1 chunck of skeet and the rest hickory. We really liked it. Doing 2 butts this time and still only putting on one chunck. BTW, why don't you like skeet with pork? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did a skeet and butt cook once. The butt went in the trash, and never used skeet again on pork. To me, it just does not work with pork. This is JMO and if you like it, no problem. All I wanted to make sure is that you had used it before, or give you a heads up incase you didn't. That's all, it's all good.
icon_biggrin.gif
Hope your cook is going better than the shaky sounding start?

God, I can't wait to get my hands on a 22" and be able to do two big butts like that, without worrying about them touching the sides of the lid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
God, I can't wait to get my hands on a 22" and be able to do two big butts like that, without worrying about them touching the sides of the lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom - there's no worrying in BBQ. I'm as anal as they come, but two butts touching is no big deal and if you just kinda tuck them in, they won't touch the lid. Then they shrink. Personally, I want 22" so I can lay my ribs out whole and flat - cause I worry about them being curved or touching the lid. Go figure.

All turned out good. The butts were ready to pull right at the 15 hr mark. Foiled and rested for a few hours then pulled. I mainly did the to sell to some of my coworkers. So I vac seeled into 2# bags. Then my wife told me her sisters clan is comming over monday. So what I do last night? Went and picked up 2 more butts. Got them rubbed and in the fridge. Will go on the smoker tonight. Added a few more pics of the finished product. Hope every body is having a great Labor day week end.

Added Pics

Back