2 questions before I forget em

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Happy Holidays .....

2 questions for ya

1. Has anyone ever cut one of the 6" spike thermometers for an ole silver down to the more modern nub size? Would that work? It seems when I need one I have the other and vice versa

2. Have any of u guys had success painting fire boxes, frames, and end caps, in the cold weather? In Virginia it is ranging from 30 to say 50 degrees throughout the week and the 50 is a real cold 50. I could put a small heater in my garage very close to what I am painting to warm it up then say move the heater away while painting then move it back to help it dry but I cant baby sit a heater for too long in a freezing garage. Will the Rustoleum High Heat stuff adhere?? I know what the label says but I wanna know what u guys say :)

1. No, and No, it will not work, because of the science blah blah blah of how they work.

2. Blah blah blah...I just wanna say, JimV, have a healthy and safe New Year, and take care of that shoulder, hear? Lookin' forward to seeing you in 2021, my friend!

Ha! Thanks for the laugh Ed!
I didnt think the thermo would work but I knew u guys could drive it home for me. I will punt on that idea.

Yes sir....bring on 2021.......

Not sure on #1, but I shut my rehabbing down in October. Up here, that is when temps are generally below 50. I won't even try to paint lower than that, but I think some of the paints I have used said they were good down to 40. If you can provide a bit of heat and do it inside the garage, then you can probably do it with no problem at all. Just be careful with fumes and ventilation.

This Florida boy is still trying to adjust to seasonality. I still find myself going outside without any coat or sweater just because I don't think of it!

Jon, I am still outside in shorts fairly often. Seriously. I was out brushing snow off the wife's car yesterday in shorts and a T-shirt. LOL
The only bad part is when the snow from the car hits my legs. I regularly walk out to the mailbox in shorts.

This Florida boy is still trying to adjust to seasonality. I still find myself going outside without any coat or sweater just because I don't think of it!
Reminds me of the time my employer flew this SoCal native out to Denver in mid-January. The flight was delayed because of a snowstorm and as the plane circled the runway the captain was telling us that the runway was icy and the ground crew were taking care of it while we circled. From the window I could see people spraying the wings of the planes before take-off. I said my prayers then.

There was a rental car waiting and the lock on the trunk was frozen solid. Now what do I do?

I went down to pick up a newspaper early in the morning in a T-shirt and noticed how people were sort of looking at me sideways. Then one of the people at the seminar I was attending told me that the Colorado natives took note of the license plates of people from California and gave them extra caution because Californians don't know how to drive in icy conditions.

I don't know how you guys in the colder climes do it, I really don't, but my hat is off to you all the same!

Trust me most of us HATE it. This old midwestern boy is tired of it. Sadly I am not in a position to go away from it. Plus I hate alligators and creepy crawly things far more than winter.

Trust me most of us HATE it. This old midwestern boy is tired of it. Sadly I am not in a position to go away from it. Plus I hate alligators and creepy crawly things far more than winter.
Grew up in this ”hot” south Florida. been all over the country working on the road from northern Minnesota in Feb(-45) to Chicago rooftops in July (120 on the roof, boots melting from the roofing material). done with that now, and if not for the people continually moving down here( way too many people especially in winter) .... still the best environment, in my opinion....our summers aren’t much, if any hotter than you guys up north the only difference is no cooling off at night( I do miss that) but I was out yesterday golfing in shorts on a breezy 75 degrees and loving it!
Gators and snakes are a way of life you learn where to expect them and just like you don’t move a pile a firewood before you check it up north you look first😜.

Oh yeah if you have a woodburner stove or fireplace you don't dare bring wood in without checking for wasps. Had that happen just once. Brought in a piece of wood that apparently had a nest. Next thing I know they did not like being in the "hotseat" LOL. Thankfully we got the glass doors closed in time. But that was sure a bunch of angry wasps. Now thankfully I have a totally sealed gas fireplace. No firewood no angry critters :D
It would still drive me nuts living down there. Not being able to be out on a lake fishing on a warm day and casually "have a dunk" to cool off without the fear of something eating you. I prefer to eat the aquatic wildlife not the other way around. Though up in MN I know people who've been attacked by muskie and large northerns

Thanks Brad, you and Larry have voiced my feelings on winter in the “Mitten state”. I have to admit, I’ve been known to run the garbage can out in moccasins and boxers at four AM on pick up day in January! Shhh, don’t tell!
Predicting freezing rain and ice for tomorrow so, I did the grocery shopping today!
Three rib standing roast for Saturday with the family, dong that and a nice chicken for the “non beef” eaters! I got lucky, they had that and a single (nice 2#) smaller one. The other is about five + pounds that’s for Saturday, the smaller has been ensconced in the freezer for later dining pleasure.

Don't forget the killer otters!

I think we've answered more than 2 questions by now...;)

Last edited:
And bears and wolves and mooses. Oh, we had a mountain lion living around here two years ago.
Well about 2 or 3 weeks ago grandson and I saw a gray wolf right by my house, we have seen a cougar/mountain lion not 250' from the house, and then just a few days ago this. Old Wiley himself just 2 doors away. Our DNR has confirmed BTW at least 3 packs of gray wolves living in Cherry Valley. It was just really cool that Blake and I got to see one.

20201226_124141.jpg20201226_124146.jpg

Yeah, about the most we get is the occasional coyote, but still, it's a bit strange to see one trotting down the street in the early afternoon. At least they keep the outdoor cat population in check...

Attachments

• 20190820_143704.jpg
    20190820_143704.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190820_143718.jpg
    20190820_143718.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 3
Now here is something you don't get to see everyday...one of my neighbor's letting his Clydesdales out in the front yard to do a little lawn maintenance...

Attachments

• 20180328_152047.jpg
    20180328_152047.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180328_152107.jpg
    20180328_152107.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 4
Ha! Ya look at that! Is that real? I saw something similar on a grill pick up this summer. It was not too far from the burbs but sure enough the front yard was fenced in and they had a couple of horses just hangin out eating the fresh grass. It was odd because they had neighbors 30feet away like a normal neighborhood. Things could get a bit stinky if that trend continues.

Back