2-location ribs

A. Vale

TVWBB Fan
In the near future I'm going to have to cook baby backs in one location on a smoker, drive 1.5 hours with them and finish them on a gas grill. I was thinking 3 hours on the smoker at 275, foiling them and putting them in a cooler and then... How do people recommend I finish them? Open to other recommendations too. This will only be for 3-4 racks.

How long after you after you drive will you have to serve them?

Instead I would just finish them up where you start, don't sauce them, wrap them in foil and towels, then put them in a cooler til they are ready to serve. They will hold 4 or more hours and still be warm and fresh. If you want to sauce them, take them out at your destination, fire up a grill, put sauce on the ribs and put them on a few minutes to caramelize the sauce

Or without sauce: just to firm up the bark. 5 min maybe is all thats needed. They'll still be plenty hot after wrapping as suggested above.

I've done as suggested above with spares a couple of times. Foil them when I would normally, leave them to cook in foil less time than normal, wrap in towels and put in cooler to transport. They cook a bit further along the way wrapped up like that. Check tenderness when you arrive. In each case all they needed was a bit of firming up.

Back