2 Chimneys + lump = oops.

Paul Pearson

TVWBB Super Fan
I had gotten in the habit on high heat cooks of starting both chimneys of lump in the base of my WSM over the winter. A week or two ago I smoked some wings and meatloaf so I set things up like usual. It was a very still night and when I went out to check the fire things were roaring and the chimneys were glowing.

The handles were penty hot and I remember thinking at the time that they looked dirtier than usual but didn't think twice about it. Next morning when I put them back in their place I saw the extent of the damage...

20140405_225517.jpg

I have since gotten an old enameled pan that I will put on my top grate so I can sit the 2nd chimney on that. It was kind of a pain to get both chimneys out, put the charcoal ring in then dump both chimneys anyway so hopefully this new setup works better. Once I get a performer I will just use that.

I have since gotten an old enameled pan that I will put on my top grate so I can sit the 2nd chimney on that. It was kind of a pain to get both chimneys out, put the charcoal ring in then dump both chimneys anyway so hopefully this new setup works better. Once I get a performer I will just use that.

I always start my chimneys on a pan on the ground. You will love a performer, but I never use mine to start chimneys.

You have an 18.5" WSM I see in your sig. Next time set the chimney so the handles are on the outside of the charcoal bowl, not the inside.
Like you, I learned the hard way, than saw that it will fit and not get scorched, butt Ive only done one chimney, never two, that would be a tight fit.:wsm:

Tim

It was certainly a tight fit with the two in the bowl. I was wary of the chimney not sitting flat and being unstable but I should mock that up.

Back