2 Butts?

Mark D. Anderson

TVWBB Member
In a few weeks I'm going to be smoking 2 pork butts to make pulled pork for company. I'm thinking two 8-10 lb butts.

I've never smoked 'em before, so I want to make sure there's room for both in the smoker. One on top and one on the bottom? Do I need to adjust cooking time?

Any help is much appreciated!

MArk

Hi Mark. If you have the 18 or 22, you will fit two pork butts with ease. Depending on how the butts were cut, you may even be able to fit them both on the top rack.

When I cook two, I usually put one on the top and one on the bottom and switch them about halfway.

2 Butts will fit on the top of the 18 or 22 with no problem. It may just take a little longer for the smoke to come up to temp but that's the only difference between doing one or two. Good luck with the cook.

Mark: Pork butts are a great thing to cook for a crowd. Honestly they are pretty hard to mess up. You should be able to fit two butts on one rack in an 18 or 22 WSM. good luck!

I always do two in the 8-10 # range on the top rack on my 18.5" WSM. No worries just go for it my friend.

Tim

I would like to add. Pack the charcoal ring with as much fuel as you can. This may prevent you from having to re-load during mid-cook, or at least limit the amount of times you have open the door to add fuel. 0.02¢.

Back