2 butts and 19 hours and only 178 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris K

TVWBB Super Fan
What to do? Keep on smokin?, turn up the heat? (it has been 225 give or take 10 since 8 last night) or just do nothing because 15 pounds of butts takes time. Thanks for any help you can lend.

Chris, I let my smoker temp rise...250 or so.
You could foil and / or go to the oven.

Been there, done that! Foil 'em and into the oven and they turn out beeyootiful! Or just crank yer temps and be (even more) patient....

Do a "pinch test". Can you easily pull a bit of meat off the butt? Is the bone loose? Does it try to pull apart when you try to lift it? Try another spot with your thermometer, is it a different temperature? Does the thermometer slide in with almost no resistance? Do you have another thermometer, perhaps the one you are using is not reading properly.

Those are alternate methods I can think of to help determine if it is ready.

I have 2 butts going with 2 different thermometers. A weber digital probe and a ET73. They are both reading about the same since I switched top and bottom meat this morning. I really dont need the food done till 6 or so and still have lots of fuel. Maybe I will just keep my patience. The pork looks good and I am starting to see the bone sticking out but it is still not coming out super easy. It is still oozing orange fat so the magic is still happening. I really dont like using foil (no offence to those who do I just dont like to use it) Thanks guys (and Suzan) you eased my concerns!

Just let it keep on chuggin'. Relax, have another beer, it'll get there.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Mason:
Just let it keep on chuggin'. Relax, have another beer, it'll get there.
icon_wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a plan! Its my B-day so the beer is flowing pretty good. Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris K:
Its my B-day so the beer is flowing pretty good. Thanks again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Happy Birthday!!!!! Have a few for me
icon_cool.gif

Any particular reason you no likes foil? At this point in the cook the pork is not taking any more smoke and it will help speed up the cook!!

Of course, do what you think is best!! That's the right way!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Hi Bill! Is there a chance you'll be on tonight??
icon_confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Maybe...Maybe not
icon_biggrin.gif
We'll see...

I know it wont take any more smoke but nobody is showing up till 6 or so. Im hoping to buy myself some time. I have a thing about things like foiling food, Gurus, and things like that. I know its an unpopular view and alot of people like these things but they are just not for me. I get alot of satisfaction from knowing I tended the fire and saw it through till the end. It seems to make the food that much better having to work for it. I bumped the temp to 135-145 so we will see how the timing works out. I will pull at 6 regardless and I am sure it will be good.

Chris- you are laying on smoke as long as you have the butt in smoke, and real long slow cooks like that can over smoke. If it's not giving up the bone yet keep cooking, one thing about cooking on WSMs they don't put on smoke like an offset would.

I watched the best shoulder cook in the country (if competition results are an indicator) worry about getting to much smoke on his shoulder. He used cheese cloth soaked in a vinegar mop to cover the butt during part of the cook to insure over smoking would not be a problem.
Jim

Well, 22 1/2 hours and it was the best pork I have ever eaten. Even had a vegetarian eating meat. Thanks Jim for the "Minion Method" this kind of thing would not have possible without you. Take care all and thanks for the help.

Chris

When in doubt use the F-word!! Foil... Bust as always, know you ready to eat time and cook early.. its a lot easier to keep warm or reheat then microwave to finish!!!

Chris K, sounds like everything turned out good. Just a question though. Was the 225 temp taken a the lid? If so, was that the actual temp on the thermometer, or the thermometer temp minus the difference of 15 or so degrees for top grate temp?

Jim, that cheese cloth idea sounds like a good one.

p.s. Chris, hope the B'day went well.

I took the temp from the top grate with the ET73. I didnt add any coal till about 20 hours. And it was rock steady up to that point. At 20 hours i tossed on a few pieces of lump to finish it off. There was still plenty of heat to start the lump and finish off the cook. I think it lasted as long as it did because I stayed between 220 and 225 the whole time. If I had been at 240 or 250 it would have burned out quicker.....Now what to BBQ this weekend....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back