2 butts and 19 hours and only 178 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, sounds like everthing turned out well. I just wanted to know about how the temps were measured for my own knowledge.

Chris

I am not a fond user of foil either. I only use it after the meat is done. I wrap it to hold the temp or keep in the smoke flavor. If you're going to bbq then bbq. Some people think that every cook has to be perfect, if not they foil it. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Some people find it hard to lose. I took the loss a couple of times. I'm a good loser, but no foil here. Sorry about that.

Chris,

Just curious..what type of lump did you use? I've had probs in the past with lump burning up quicker than the old standby that I typically use (Kingsford). What's your experience show?

The lump I used was QIK natural hardwood lump. I only use it though when I want to get the temps going up I almost always use kingsford for the main cook. I think it is a pretty cheap quality lump, I get it for 10 bucks/20 pounds. It is really good for steak in the kettle because it does burn quite a bit hotter than normal kingsford.

Tony, I agree about the losing part, sometimes things were just not meant to work out and then you just take note of it for next time. Even when you lose the food is edible and the beer is still good.

Chris, grate temp and the top Butt was measuresd with an ET73 and the bottom Butt was measured with a Weber remote temp probe. When I switched top and Bottom buts I also switched the probes. The ET73 was always on the top (mainly because the cable is so darn short)

Hi,

Where is it written that foiling a piece of meat during a cook is not part of the BBQ technique.

I suppose one could argue that using a metal can covered with black enamel also renders the BBQ null and void.

Must one dig a pit in the ground and use wood gathered from the forest to be considered "BBQ"?

Foiling is just another recent addition to a very old cooking method.

Here's a really good history of the orogin of barbecue

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris K:
What to do? Keep on smokin?, turn up the heat? (it has been 225 give or take 10 since 8 last night) or just do nothing because 15 pounds of butts takes time. Thanks for any help you can lend. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, turn up the heat. I've found it hard to get butts and CRs to temp when running around 220F. Last few hours anyways let 'er rip at 250F + especially if you are mopping the butts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back