2 7lb bone-in butts....It's going down!

Didn't get to bed until almost 0130 this morning (drinking like a teenager...and THAT I'm not), but still got up at 0500 like a good soldier to prepare for todays cook! 2 beautiful bone-in butts, one rubbed with Bad Byrons and the other with John Henry's raseberry chipotle. On the grill at 0620, so just about 3 hours into it. Coffee is going down good, the smell of that sweet smoke in the morning is "special". Have company coming over tonight for the fight. Pulled pork sandwiches, nachos and ABT's for all
icon_cool.gif
Wife just called from the ball park to tell me that my 8yr old girl just struck out 3 in a row to start the game. Yup...life is good at the moment
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Anyone watching the fight tonight? Along with a good smoke?
icon_smile.gif

Temps and method? Since you just started this morning, gonna wrap in foil later in the cook?

Congrats on your daughter's success! Mine is gonna be 21 and I wish I saw her more. They grow up so fast!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Temps and method? Since you just started this morning, gonna wrap in foil later in the cook?

Congrats on your daughter's success! Mine is gonna be 21 and I wish I saw her more. They grow up so fast! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply Dave.

Using the Mav ET73. Firs couple hours I was in the area of 250-260, now stable between 225-240 for the last 1 1/2 or so. Sitting at 162 internal right now. Possible my probe could be touching bone, but won't do anything unless the temp continues to rise.

Thanks (in regards to my girl)! I know what you mean about the kids growing fast. My oldest just turned 12 and I swear it doesn't seem long ago when she was bouncing on my knee.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Marquez:
160 internal temp on one of the butts after only 3 hours?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way, unless you're cooking at roasting temps! What are you trying to cook at, and how/where are you measuring it?

I'd guess you're cooking well over 300, you need to wrap in foil sometime soon, before both hit 170. It will be done early, but wrapped in foil in a pre-heated quality cooler filled with wadded up newspaper, the butts should stay hot for over 5 hours, if need be.

Hmmmm. I use a Maverick like that, too. I hang in the vent and don't trust the little wsm grate when full of meat.

Yep, could've hit the bone. I originally asked as to method since the wsm is a really slow butt cooker when trying to cook in the traditional 225-250 range. I won't start a butt cook with it in the morning unless I plan on a shortcut 275 degree cook, foiling after 160. I do that for briskets, typically, but cook butts overnight. Thankfully, the wsm and the maverick lets me sleep pretty good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Hmmmm. I use a Maverick like that, too. I hang in the vent and don't trust the little wsm grate when full of meat.

Yep, could've hit the bone. I originally asked as to method since the wsm is a really slow butt cooker when trying to cook in the traditional 225-250 range. I won't start a butt cook with it in the morning unless I plan on a shortcut 275 degree cook, foiling after 160. I do that for briskets, typically, but cook butts overnight. Thankfully, the wsm and the maverick lets me sleep pretty good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, happy to say that all turned out great in the end. 13 hours cook time before both butts reached 195 internal (fortunately this happened at the same time).

Pulled pork sandwiches, ABT's and nachos were enjoyed by all (I think "enjoyed" is a bit of an understatement). And this mornning, chorizo & egg burritos mixed with that "good stuff".....WOW. Incredible.

By the way, best nachos I've ever had, and that was pretty much the sentiment shared by all.

Richard, so I guess the 3 hour 160 degree reading was from the bone, huh?

Congrats on getting it done before someone tried to highjack your cooker. I've been there so many times...."How many times do I have to tell ya, It's done when it's done!!"...It doesn't fly with a hungry mob...lol.

Richard, so I guess the 3 hour 160 degree reading was from the bone, huh?

Congrats on getting it done before someone tried to highjack your cooker. I've been there so many times...."How many times do I have to tell ya, It's done when it's done!!"...It doesn't fly with a hungry mob...lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still don't know for certain if the probe was touching bone. It sat at 163-164 for about 4-5 hours, so perhaps it just "plateaued" earlier than usual?

Man you are spot on with folks getting a impatient toward the end
icon_smile.gif
I don't know how many times I said "it's done when it's done", or "you can't rush doneness" (although I suppose you could technically). They got tired of hearing it. A bit more difficult for people to comprehend that are not familiar with the smoking process opposed to standard high temp grilling. And you should have seen the look on some faces when the butts were finally done (folks were regulary peeking at the Maverick receiver, knowing 195 was the magic number) and I told them 1 more hour in the ice chest
icon_eek.gif
But when it was time to eat - around 8:30pm - all was good and the guests were very happy. "Worth the wait" would be the catch phrase.

I wish I remembered to take pics. I really must get in the habit of doing that and posting them here. I enjoy and appreciate when others take the time to do, so need to do my part
icon_smile.gif
I stayed between 225-245 for most of the cook, and let it ride at 255-265 over the last 2 hours. I would say that I maintained 235 for most of the cook though.

You need to do your part (w/ pics)? Ha, I haven't yet!

It's funny how some folks get so excited about looking at someones meat, but I admit, it's nice to see how someones bark turns out given certain criteria, etc. Maybe I'll get to myself next time.

Regarding waiting, try trusting that wsm and maverick to an overnighter some time. I've only done it once with my new wsm, but plan on Friday night. Last month when I did my overnight butt cook, I slept as good as I ever do!

Back