1st two butt BBQ underway

Mark Maral

TVWBB Member
Well, after yesterday's storm the weather has cleared up nicely. No rain or wind so
this morning at 2am I put two 9.5lb butts on the WSM. This is my first attempt at doing two pork butts. On one I used Chris Lilly's injection and rub recipe. The other one got a coating of Texax BBQ original rub and no injection. This is what I used on the first one I did a few weeks back and everyone like it.
As of 4am the lid temp is at 230*

I'll post pictures later today

Mark

The aroma that is sent into the air is worth all of the effort. I have said it before, I almost would rather smell BBQ cooking than eat it. lol

So I guess you really liked TB Rub?

Mark -

I'm sure things are smoking right along. It really isn't any different to do two butts than one (or to do three or four for that matter). I like the Lilly recipes, too. Always a lot of flavor mixed with the great taste of the pork.

Dale - its funny that you mention that you had rather smell BBQ cooking than to eat it. I'm like that, too. I get to enjoy the smell of the BBQ cooking for hours and hours, and the eating takes only a few minutes. I find that whenever I cook the BBQ, I actually eat less of it!

How's that for a diet program!!

Pat

It was great this morning; clear sky, cold morning and the smell of the warm BBQ.
I'm using 3 smallish chunks of apple and 1 of cherry.

Well, with the Tx BBQ rub I bought a bag of it as something to try as a first timer. I thought it tasted pretty good. So, this time I thought I'd try something different with the Lilly's rub and injection so I could do a comparison taste test. My brother who does a lot of BBQ will be here for Thanksgiving so I want to see what he thinks of these two plus he's bringing me some of the rub that he makes up for me to try next time. I think the experimenting with different rubs, etc. will be part of the fun for me.

I'm using a clay saucer again as did a few weeks back with my first butt, however this time I was much more aware of catching the temp before it got out of control and too high. Right now at the 5.5 hour mark it's has pretty well stabilized around 240* with one vent 20% open and the other two closed.

So far, so good.

Mark

Well, here are a few pictures prior to pulling them. They were on for 14.5 hrs to get to around 190 and per the fork test were ready to come off.
The one in the brown dish is the Texas BBQ rub and the one in the clear dish is the one with the Lilly's injection and rub.

Should be pulling them shortly.

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

Pulled. I think they came out good. You can definitely tell the difference in taste between the two. Will be vacuum sealing today.

IMG_3010.jpg

I only had a little of the injected pork. It has a nice flavor to it. My wife really liked it. I'm still on the fence. Need to try it again. I'm going to make some Piedmont sauce to try with it, but at the moment, for me, I'm leaning towards the pork with the Texas rub

Mark

Hello Mark, Nice looking butts there. Job well done! Just finished dinner and you've got me drooling again.

Mark
how much did they weigh? wow 14.5 hours? I guess putting them in at 2 or 3 in the morning is the only way to go huh? My family wants butts and I'm going to give it a try for the first time in a couple of weeks. So far I have only made one brisket and undercooked it, came out a bit tough but juicy. I learned to keep it in the smoker till tender and to forget about the internal temp. Is this the same for the butts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alexander:
Is this the same for the butts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Go till the probe slides in easily, serve with No 5 sauce and you are good to go.

They were in the 9lb range after trimming. I used the internal probe as a guideline and did as Dave suggests to check for doneness. I used the piedmont sauce when I served it.

Mark

WoW!! They look GREAT Mark! But HolySmokers! 14 and a half hours???
I cooked a 9 lber last sunday morning, on at Midnight and off a little after 9 am... all my butts are cookin about an hour a pound at 250' steady with an internal temp at 200 to 205'.
Hey, those hunks of meats look TERRIFIC!!
Well Done!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jim, I've two 8 pounders waiting to do on Mon. so I'll compare. I went back and looked at my log and the avg. temp was around 245. I hit 167 internal temp after 10hrs, but then it stalled and I didn't hit 190 until 3 1/2 hrs later on the smaller one and the other one hit it another 1/2 later. I tested both with a fork and they were done. I don't believe they were over done.

I did a 5.5lb (I had cut off the end for a coppa) and it took me 7 hrs. to get to 190.

I haven't done but a couple of butts so I'm still learning, too, so we'll see what he next two are like.

Thanks, Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:-
Dale - its funny that you mention that you had rather smell BBQ cooking than to eat it. I'm like that, too. I get to enjoy the smell of the BBQ cooking for hours and hours, and the eating takes only a few minutes. I find that whenever I cook the BBQ, I actually eat less of it!

How's that for a diet program!!

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pat, I am the same way. I eat less BBQ if I have cooked it myself. I attribute it to inhaling all that smoke.

Back