1st time Brisket

Tom Guschausky

I think this weekend will be the first time I step out of my comfort zone. Chicken, pork, no problem. But it's time to smoke a brisket! I'll probably pick up a flat from Costco and start small. I'm thinking inject with beef broth, rub with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and a little onion/garlic powder. Low and slow seems like the way to go. Any advice for smoking a flat? How long should I expect to cook it? Any help would be appreciated!

Couple of things you might want to think about.

1) A flat by itself doesn't have a whole lot of fat in it once it's trimmed up so it can dry out very quickly and become 'home plate'. IMO I would lean more towards a braise setup where the flat is constantly in moisture. If you do the injection like you mention, then I would inject in an aluminum pan and then cook it in that same pan. That way when your injection runs out, it creates your braise liquid. You may need to add a little extra.

2) Since the line between under-done and over-done is pretty narrow, I would put a remote thermometer into the thickest part of the flat and set the alarm for like 180 and start checking tenderness at that point. To help against drying out, you may want to consider putting a 'lid' on the pan once the meat gets to ~155-160.

3) Once that probe slides in like butter, it's done. Pull it out, let it rest for a good 15-20 minutes or until the internal temp has come down around 145 or so. The last thing you want to do is slice that thing too early and end up with a plate full of jous and dry meat (think steak).

Go for it and have fun!

That sounds like a decent plan, my first flat last week I did not have an injector so just went with a rub with Worcestershire Sauce, a dry rub with Texas Wild and a cook at 225-250. I gave it a mop with my light sauce twice and planned to pull it at 195-200 and let it rest for an hour foiled and put in a towel in a cooler.
I actually screwed up cause my family all started arriving and that sucker went from 192 to 215 in approximately twenty minutes.
It still came out good, a little drier in the center than I would prefer but not bad at all.
It had been climbing real slow prior to that, I guess the proverbial plateau.
So if I had just watched it more closely the last half an hour and pulled it at 195 it would have been superb.
Lesson learned

Tom, unrelated, but I see you live fairly close to Glacier National Park. That is an absolutely gorgeous area. One of my favorite vacations I have ever took!

Tom I had put on the five pounder at 1pm and pulled it approx 7pm. Let it rest for a full hour in the cooler. Like I said before it was still good but could have been much juicier if I had pulled it 195-200.
And it probably would have been even better if I had injected it, and my Cajun Injector just arrived today.
yea Baby

Last edited:
Yep, inject, when bark sets and you are happy with it foil with a beef broth/Worcester mix until probe tender.

Jeff.... X ACTLY !!!!! :)

Like what Russ said "Once that probe slides in like butter, it's done. Pull it out, let it rest for a good 15-20 minutes or until the internal temp has come down around 145 or so." :)

Funny thing.... Temperature is ONLY mentioned when confirming the brisket has stopped cooking ! At all other times... tape over your temperature display. You don't need it !

Bob

I've got no advice for a brisket, but on an unrelated note, my wife is from Dillon and was excited to see someone from "the hood".

As for me, I am just curious as to how your brisket turns out. I haven't done one yet, but will probably try one before the summer is over. Gotta get used to the smoker first. Good luck to you!

I've got no advice for a brisket, but on an unrelated note, my wife is from Dillon and was excited to see someone from "the hood".

As for me, I am just curious as to how your brisket turns out. I haven't done one yet, but will probably try one before the summer is over. Gotta get used to the smoker first. Good luck to you!

Dillon's got some great hunting and fishing! I chickened out and threw a rack of ribs on the kettle. I also couldn't justify a 8 lb. brisket for 2 people! Who'd of thought it would be so hard to get people to come over for brisket and cocktails, on a beautiful Montana summer day!

Back