1st smoke on my new wsm

Michael Goldman

TVWBB Fan
Wow, cooked on my new 18inch wsm fri night.. Injected an 8 lb pork picnic fri afternoon. Put mustard and rub on 6:00 pm.. Fired up wsm using minion method. Added some chunks of apple wood.put that bad boy on grill at 7 pm..played with vent openings during the night.heat stayed at around 250 all cook.. Could not get temp to settle any lower.. Chalk it up to 1st cook i guess. Well, at 7:00am ,internal temp of meat was around 200 degrees.might of been just a tad cooked too long. Took it off and let it rest for about 1 hour.. Took two forks and pulled that baby apart.. No problem. Warmed up some q sauce and made two sandwhiches on kaiser rolls.. We are very pleased with the results of our 1st smoke on our new wsm.. Just need a little practice and tweeking. Never had to add a piece of charcoal all night.. Oh, the pulled pork rasted great.. Thats what it is all about.. Next cook will be a rack of pork ribs,next week.. Dear wife looking forward to a smoked turkey.. All have a great smoking 4th of july...

Congrats, Michael, and welcome to the TVWBB forum and the joys of smoking on the WSM. Start stocking extra provisions for the unexpected guests that'll start showing up. Might want to budget for bigger pants and sturdier furniture, too. :)

Well, just got back from the grocery store.. I promised two of the clerks that work there that i would bring in a sandwhich today for them to taste from my 1st smoke.. Purchased two nice pork rib racks.. Into the frezzer.. Also made up 4 vacuum freezer bags for enough meat for 2 sandwhiches in each bag..dinner for tonight, oven baked chicken,oh well, cant have smoked meat every night... Hmmmmm...

Nice 1st cook..what do you mean can't have smoked meat every night? Make enough for leftovers and do butts and ribs/chicken at the same time. I haven't had smoked meat every night but since I've purchased my Gas Assist Performer and WSM a few weeks ago I haven't cooked anything indoors.

Back