1st Smoke. (2) Pork Butts.

JShoemaker

TVWBB Member
I got the 22" WSM ready last night for it's first use, for an early morning smoke today. :wsm:

I got the 17.5# of pork butt, both on the top rack, at ~6am this morning. (thank you daylight savings for the extra hour of sleep)

It's a calm and cold 31F outside. Great morning to be outside!

So far, so good. It's been ~20 minutes, and I choked the dampers when it hit about 200F, now it's holding pretty stead at 221-223F. Hopefully it stays that way......stay tuned....time for coffee....

Yes, just like everyone else mentioned..(with the new WSM)...the temps have risen up to 260-270F(per Maverick 732). 2 bottom dampers are closed, and the 3rd is 90% closed. Top fully open.

Oh well......2.5hours into it. Pork is measuring ~120F.

so..(for the experienced guys out there)...does the last ~20 degrees of cooking or so seem to take FOREVER!? Or is it just me?

i'm guessing at about 2pm, the butt was ~168F. 4hrs later, it's still only 180F. I'm guessing it'll take a bit yet to get it up to 190+?

There are professionals here that will answer this better than I, but it's called "The Stall" .
I'm not sure of the science behind it. Keep cooking the stall will subside and temps will rise.
Be tough, hang in there, the end is soon.:)

I ran out of fuel(charcoal) at about hour 14. Opened the door, and the charcoal was pretty much non-existent. Made sense since my temperature starting dropping.

One meat temp is good, 190F. The second butt needed some more time, so I foiled, and put in the oven at 250F to finish it off.

Back