1st pulled pork

Dave O (Alaska)

TVWBB Pro
Alright, here I go. Got up at 05:00 and fired up the WSM with the foiled pizza stone only. Pork butt is on and smoking, hopefully will be eating tasty Q for dinner.

Exciting times Dave!

Be sure to get pic's along the way and post them.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

hickory only. I had it on the smoker for 10 hours at which point I ran out of coal so I foiled and put it in the oven for an hour. Rested it in foil/towels for another hour and it came out great.

Great way to adapt to the situation. One of my first pp smokes I ran into a similar situation and had to use the oven to finish. No shame in doing that, especially not as long as the product turns out good.
Also now you know why many of us get nervous if we have less than 50lbs of charcoal on hand.

Mike

I'm coming up on winter very soon here in alaska and the temps I will be cooking in are going to range from -20 to 30 degrees. I can fight off the wind with a good wind block but was wondering if I should make an insulated enclosure for it to conserve fuel.
Has anyone tried this?

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave O (Alaska):
I'm coming up on winter very soon here in alaska and the temps I will be cooking in are going to range from -20 to 30 degrees. I can fight off the wind with a good wind block but was wondering if I should make an insulated enclosure for it to conserve fuel.
Has anyone tried this?

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave wind is your worst enemy in winter. As long as you have a good windbreak you won't have much trouble. I cook on my kettle all winter from -40c to 0c and don't think I use that much more fuel as long as the wind isn't howling across the thing.

Check here for some ideas.

Dave, don't know which wsm you have, but the best windbreak I've used for my 18.5" was a plastic 55 gallon drum. You'll find it in a thread somewhere here, but you don't want to cut the entire bottom out of it, only cut out what's necessary to make dropping the drum down over the cooker work easily. (After I cut the whole bottom out of mine, it quickly warped.)You won't be able to lift the dome off to check meat, but attaching a couple of handles will make it easier to lift the drum off. Besides, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'. Right?
icon_wink.gif

Raise and support the drum at the bottom with blocks, bricks, or just something to provide enough of a space for adequate draft at the bottom. I found out that was indeed necessary.

Back